New Image Renders Point to an ‘iPad Mini-Look’ for the Upcoming iPad 5
By Erik Pineda | February 8, 2013 1:19 PM EST
New image renders of the fifth generation iPad suggest Apple is trimming down on the overall size and heft of the upcoming slate without touching its original screen size of 9.7 inches.
MacRumors's 'extrapolated dimensions' kept up with the earlier iPad 5 renditions provided by Macotakara, which predicted that the new tablet "would be 4mm shorter and 17mm narrower than the existing design."
By the time it is released, the original iPad would have shed significant weight and dimensions, and will likely assume the look that lured millions of consumers to the iPad Mini.
"The fifth-generation iPad is said to adopt nearly identical styling to the iPad Mini, with photos showing a similarly anodized rear shell and reports claiming that it will include the same chamfered edges as on its smaller sibling," MacRumors said on its report.
Apple's adjustment makes sense considering that its smaller sibling has been outpacing the regular iPad in the sales department, with many tech experts insisting that in due time the iPad Mini will likely push its predecessor to near extinction.
While Apple is not exactly relishing such idea, it is acknowledging that the iPad Mini embodies a winning formula so why not apply some of the specs to the 9.7-inch iPad, some analysts offered.
The revamp will, of course, require lots of rework inside the iPad guts, which suggests that we will not be holding the iPad 5 anytime soon, definitely not this March, MacRumors said.
"Apple has been rumoured to be adopting new display technology that will allow for a thinner display and perhaps a smaller battery, and other components such as the main system-on-a-chip are also likely to see upgrades and rearrangements as part of the significant revamp of its full-size iPad," the Apple-centric tech blog site said on its report.
The best bet for a realistic iPad release this year is between September and October, knowing Apple's insistence of putting together near-perfect products prior to actual launch date, MacRumors stressed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine