Wikipad Tablet: Closer Look at the First Hybrid of Gaming Consoles, Tablet
By Gilda Galang | February 8, 2013 12:47 PM EST
Gamers can now have their fun even while on the road as the 7-inch Wikipad hits the market this spring.
Dubbed as the crossbreed between a tablet and a gaming controller, the Wikipad is the first of its kind in the market and a sure hit for those who want their games on the go, reports Digital Trends.
Changes and price
After the delay from last year's expected release in October, avid followers of the device will notice a change in its screen size, from a 10-inch screen dropping to a more compact 7-inch screen, reports CNet.
However, this is has also brought a major advantage for those who may not be willing to shell out the original $499 price tag. When the Wikipad hits the market, it will now be available at $250 apiece.
What to expect from the Wikipad
Though the Wikipad has shrunk in size, the Android OS 4.1-based tablet has by no means, shrunk down in power and precision in built, reports End Gadget.
Gamers are looking at a Tegra 3 GPU build, with 1GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 16GB of Flash memory to back up the gaming device. For those who need more memory power, the Wikipad also includes a microSD card that can store up to 32 GB more. Games can also be played and enjoyed in a 1280x800 resolution display.
"We wanted to get Wikipad into our community's hands and what we found was that the smaller 7" form factor just seemed right," said Wikipad Sales President Fraser Townley to End Gadget. "The smaller frame delivers an aggressive price while keeping the same amazing specs."
According to Digital Trends, gamers can enjoy a wide range of content and gaming from partners like Play Station Mobile, Google Play, OnLive, Big Fish Games, and Nvidia's TegraZone. This will surely give new meaning to gaming-all-day, but now gamers are not tied down in one place.
Joystiq adds that Wikipad also features detachable controls that mimic the size of its predecessor. It did, however remove the rear camera-potentially sticking more to its name of being a controller device in this aspect-but those who still want to chat can enjoy the front-end camera.
10-inch version still on the way?
Those who have been waiting for a 10-inch version should not be disappointed. TG Daily reports that the company has still slated a 10-inch version, though the timelines for its release remain indefinite.
For now, traditional gamers who can't always stick around in the house any longer don't need to give up their feel and experience of playing games with a controller-you can now get your original gaming fix anywhere you want.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports