New Galaxy S4 Rumour: Samsung’s Flagship Smartphone Will Have ‘Floating Touch’ Capability
By Erik Pineda | February 8, 2013 12:45 PM EST
Imagine navigating through your smartphone without even touching it? Samsung would love to see such feature via the upcoming Galaxy S4 and the South Korean company is not thinking about a Siri-like addition to its next flagship mobile device.
Android will take care of that thanks to Google Now. Instead, the tech giant is reportedly mulling a last minute deployment of the 'floating touch function' to the Galaxy S4, according to Korean site Digital Daily.
With floating touch, users would be able to manipulate certain functions of the S4 through soft interaction with the handset. No hard-tapping is required is selecting files that you want to pull up or images that you zoom real big.
How is this possible? Samsung is looking on the possibility of including Atmel's newest maXTouch S controllers to the Galaxy S4, according to Phone Arena, which would enable the device to interpret "mixed signal inputs ... as gesture-based navigation throughout the screen interface."
The S4 will then execute the commands with your fingers hardly touching the screen.
Samsung is not starting from scratch as BGR News noted that Sony had actually introduced the technology with the Xperia Sola March last year. Samsung's version, the same report added, will "require significantly less power than similar features and is even capable of recognizing unintended touches."
Now this is welcome news for those avidly waiting the Galaxy S4 arrival, a preview of which, according to blog reports, will likely happen on March 15 or a few weeks after the anticipated debut of the Galaxy Note 3 via the 2013 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
Out of the box, the new top-notch JellyBean device will sport these impressive specs: a 4.99-inch Super AMOLED full HD display, a 1.8GHz eight-core Exynos 5 Octa processor with 2GB of RAM, a 13MP main camera snapper, LTE connectivity, NFC, a microSD slot and wireless charging capabilities.
Samsung has not confirmed but persistent reports point to April as the possible release date of the Galaxy S4 in Asia and Europe while Aussies and North American buyers will have to wait until May or June.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen