Haitian Court To Decide On Trying Ex-Dictator Duvalier For Crimes Against Humanity
By Ryan Villarreal | February 8, 2013 11:53 AM EST
A Haitian court began legal proceedings Thursday to decide whether former dictator Jean-Claude “Baby Doc” Duvalier should be tried for repression and embezzlement during his rule from 1971 to 1986.
In January 2012, a Haitian judge ruled that the statute of limitations had expired on Duvalier’s alleged crimes, a decision that is now being appealed.
International human rights organizations have said that there should be no statute of limitations for crimes against humanity and have urged Haitian authorities to put Duvalier on trial.
“International human rights standards are very clear in cases such as this. Crimes including torture, executions, arbitrary detention and enforced disappearances are not subject to a statute of limitations, and the alleged perpetrators cannot benefit from pardons or amnesties,” Javier Zuniga of Amnesty International, said in a statement.
During his rule, Duvalier maintained control through the feared Tonton Macoute militia, which became notorious for using brutality against civilians to stifle political dissent.
Duvalier was ousted by a popular uprising in 1986 and spent the next 25 years in exile in France until his unexpected return to Haiti in 2011.
“With the case of Jean-Claude Duvalier, it is the whole credibility of the Haitian justice system which is at stake,” said Zuniga. “Only by respecting the procedures in the appeal case, including thoroughly examining all evidence and hearing all the victims, will the court be able to demonstrate the professionalism and independence of the Haitian justice system.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install