Motorola is really pushing hard for the updates of its devices that run on Android OS. Since the start of 2013, Motorola has been rolling out updates for Droid RAZR and RAZR Maxx, but still a lot more needs to be done to finish updates for all devices that belong to the RAZR family.
For those who are waiting for the update of Jellybean 4.1.2 on RAZR M, there is a good try from the developers of Cyanogen Mod. The developers released a Jellybean 4.1.2 custom ROM firmware under Cyanogen Mod 10 for the Motorola RAZR M for users who cannot wait to feel and enjoy the Jellybean features.
As usual, this is a custom ROM which means, the device must be ROOTED to be able to do this. To check if your device is rooted, download an app called Root Checker from the Play Store to determine your RAZR M root status.
1. Back up all the data in your device just in case if something gets lost or corrupted during the process.
2. Don't back up any data using PC Suite or ROM Manager.
SMS Back up: Use the "SMS Backup & Restore" app.
Contacts: Use your Gmail via synching
Call Log: Call Log and Restore
Multimedia & Data Files: Copy to internal storage or to the external SD card
APN and MMS Settings: Note down the details from "Applications - Settings - Wireless and Networks - Mobile Networks - Access Point Names"
3. Enable the USB debugging: "Settings - Applications - Developments - USB debugging"
4. Battery level should be not below 35% to about risking your device.
How to Update Motorola RAZR M with CM 10 Jellybean 4.1.2
1. Download here for the CM 10 Jellybean 4.1.2 Firmware Package and over here for the Google Apps to your computer.
2. After the download, connect the device to your computer using the USB cable and place the zip files inside the device's SD card.
3. Disconnect the device and open the "ROM manager app in your device. And select "reboot into recovery mode".
4. In the "Recovery mode", select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" and "Wipe Cache" to clear all the cache data in the phone.
5. Select "install zip from SD card" then "choose zip from SD card". Select the Jellybean 4.1.2 Firmware CM 10 zip and the Google Apps package that you have copied in the device.
6. After selection, confirm by pressing the Power Button.
7. In will normally take 3 to 5 minutes for update to be applied. And after a successful update, a note "install from SD card completed" will appear at the bottom of the screen.
8. Select "Go back" and "reboot system now"
9. Wait for 3 to 4 minutes till the device boots and it will confirm a Google Account entry.
10. Check your firmware version: "Settings - About - Firmware version"
Just in case it gets to the boot loop sequence or gets stuck in the welcome screen, remove and reinsert the battery and follow the above instructions again. Bugs are present with this update and patch updates are also along the way.