Tonik, Dog with a Human Face, Up for Adoption
By Conrad Trillana | February 8, 2013 10:37 AM EST
Pictures of Tonik, a poodle/shih tzu mix, spread through the Internet when people started commenting that the dog had decidedly human features.
The 2-year-old dog, currently at the Homeward Bound Shelter in Mishawaka, Indiana, is one of more than a hundred dogs that have been rescued from kill shelters and are waiting for new adoptive owners.
The photos were taken by Renny Mills (http://www.petphotosbyrenny.com/), and were placed on the pet adoption agency’s web site (https://www.homewardboundawg.com/Home_Page.html) and on petfinder.com, and from there spread throughout message boards and social media sites.
The demand for Tonik soon overwhelmed the shelter, and inquiries have come pouring in. The shelter hopes that the interest in Tonik will be extended to the other dogs.
Reactions to these pictures ranged from “aww” to “WTF?!” Some people have found the dish-faced mutt adorable, while some claimed this dog was the result of cloning experiments gone wrong.
Whether you find this face adorable or disturbing, Tonik will most certainly be one of the lucky dogs that find an adoptive home. Given his internet popularity, the $250 adoption donation should be a bargain.
According to petfinder.com, “Tonik came to us from a kill shelter in Kentucky and there is a very sweet boy in there who is trying to figure things out and enjoy people. It seems he has not had too much socialization. He is great with other dogs. He is not dangerous, but should not be placed with young children because he will get too overwhelmed. He will need a home with lots of patience & good energy. His approx. birth date is 02/01/11 and he weighs 11#. He has been vet. checked, neutered, micro chipped, heart worm tested negative is up to date on routine shots & wormings including rabies & has been treated with advantage multi per our protocol. He has been pro. groomed since his photos were taken. His adoption donation is $250 and needs to be cash, cashier's check or money order. We do not ship or transport. Please email for an application if you would like to provide this pet with his forever home.”
Tonik is a dog like any other, a well-groomed one in fact. He’s just a fortunate victim of good hairstyling and a well timed photograph. One has to wonder, how many more adorable gems you can find in kill shelters?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealanders Willing to Pay Tax for Maui Dolphin Protection
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]