Tonik, Dog with a Human Face, Up for Adoption
By Conrad Trillana | February 8, 2013 10:37 AM EST
Pictures of Tonik, a poodle/shih tzu mix, spread through the Internet when people started commenting that the dog had decidedly human features.
The 2-year-old dog, currently at the Homeward Bound Shelter in Mishawaka, Indiana, is one of more than a hundred dogs that have been rescued from kill shelters and are waiting for new adoptive owners.
The photos were taken by Renny Mills (http://www.petphotosbyrenny.com/), and were placed on the pet adoption agency’s web site (https://www.homewardboundawg.com/Home_Page.html) and on petfinder.com, and from there spread throughout message boards and social media sites.
The demand for Tonik soon overwhelmed the shelter, and inquiries have come pouring in. The shelter hopes that the interest in Tonik will be extended to the other dogs.
Reactions to these pictures ranged from “aww” to “WTF?!” Some people have found the dish-faced mutt adorable, while some claimed this dog was the result of cloning experiments gone wrong.
Whether you find this face adorable or disturbing, Tonik will most certainly be one of the lucky dogs that find an adoptive home. Given his internet popularity, the $250 adoption donation should be a bargain.
According to petfinder.com, “Tonik came to us from a kill shelter in Kentucky and there is a very sweet boy in there who is trying to figure things out and enjoy people. It seems he has not had too much socialization. He is great with other dogs. He is not dangerous, but should not be placed with young children because he will get too overwhelmed. He will need a home with lots of patience & good energy. His approx. birth date is 02/01/11 and he weighs 11#. He has been vet. checked, neutered, micro chipped, heart worm tested negative is up to date on routine shots & wormings including rabies & has been treated with advantage multi per our protocol. He has been pro. groomed since his photos were taken. His adoption donation is $250 and needs to be cash, cashier's check or money order. We do not ship or transport. Please email for an application if you would like to provide this pet with his forever home.”
Tonik is a dog like any other, a well-groomed one in fact. He’s just a fortunate victim of good hairstyling and a well timed photograph. One has to wonder, how many more adorable gems you can find in kill shelters?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- New Zealand Election Countdown: Final Campaign Week Marred With More Controversial 'Revelations'
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation