Tonik, Dog with a Human Face, Up for Adoption
By Conrad Trillana | February 8, 2013 10:37 AM EST
Pictures of Tonik, a poodle/shih tzu mix, spread through the Internet when people started commenting that the dog had decidedly human features.
The 2-year-old dog, currently at the Homeward Bound Shelter in Mishawaka, Indiana, is one of more than a hundred dogs that have been rescued from kill shelters and are waiting for new adoptive owners.
The photos were taken by Renny Mills (http://www.petphotosbyrenny.com/), and were placed on the pet adoption agency’s web site (https://www.homewardboundawg.com/Home_Page.html) and on petfinder.com, and from there spread throughout message boards and social media sites.
The demand for Tonik soon overwhelmed the shelter, and inquiries have come pouring in. The shelter hopes that the interest in Tonik will be extended to the other dogs.
Reactions to these pictures ranged from “aww” to “WTF?!” Some people have found the dish-faced mutt adorable, while some claimed this dog was the result of cloning experiments gone wrong.
Whether you find this face adorable or disturbing, Tonik will most certainly be one of the lucky dogs that find an adoptive home. Given his internet popularity, the $250 adoption donation should be a bargain.
According to petfinder.com, “Tonik came to us from a kill shelter in Kentucky and there is a very sweet boy in there who is trying to figure things out and enjoy people. It seems he has not had too much socialization. He is great with other dogs. He is not dangerous, but should not be placed with young children because he will get too overwhelmed. He will need a home with lots of patience & good energy. His approx. birth date is 02/01/11 and he weighs 11#. He has been vet. checked, neutered, micro chipped, heart worm tested negative is up to date on routine shots & wormings including rabies & has been treated with advantage multi per our protocol. He has been pro. groomed since his photos were taken. His adoption donation is $250 and needs to be cash, cashier's check or money order. We do not ship or transport. Please email for an application if you would like to provide this pet with his forever home.”
Tonik is a dog like any other, a well-groomed one in fact. He’s just a fortunate victim of good hairstyling and a well timed photograph. One has to wonder, how many more adorable gems you can find in kill shelters?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists