Tonik, Dog with a Human Face, Up for Adoption
By Conrad Trillana | February 8, 2013 10:37 AM EST
Pictures of Tonik, a poodle/shih tzu mix, spread through the Internet when people started commenting that the dog had decidedly human features.
The 2-year-old dog, currently at the Homeward Bound Shelter in Mishawaka, Indiana, is one of more than a hundred dogs that have been rescued from kill shelters and are waiting for new adoptive owners.
The photos were taken by Renny Mills (http://www.petphotosbyrenny.com/), and were placed on the pet adoption agency’s web site (https://www.homewardboundawg.com/Home_Page.html) and on petfinder.com, and from there spread throughout message boards and social media sites.
The demand for Tonik soon overwhelmed the shelter, and inquiries have come pouring in. The shelter hopes that the interest in Tonik will be extended to the other dogs.
Reactions to these pictures ranged from “aww” to “WTF?!” Some people have found the dish-faced mutt adorable, while some claimed this dog was the result of cloning experiments gone wrong.
Whether you find this face adorable or disturbing, Tonik will most certainly be one of the lucky dogs that find an adoptive home. Given his internet popularity, the $250 adoption donation should be a bargain.
According to petfinder.com, “Tonik came to us from a kill shelter in Kentucky and there is a very sweet boy in there who is trying to figure things out and enjoy people. It seems he has not had too much socialization. He is great with other dogs. He is not dangerous, but should not be placed with young children because he will get too overwhelmed. He will need a home with lots of patience & good energy. His approx. birth date is 02/01/11 and he weighs 11#. He has been vet. checked, neutered, micro chipped, heart worm tested negative is up to date on routine shots & wormings including rabies & has been treated with advantage multi per our protocol. He has been pro. groomed since his photos were taken. His adoption donation is $250 and needs to be cash, cashier's check or money order. We do not ship or transport. Please email for an application if you would like to provide this pet with his forever home.”
Tonik is a dog like any other, a well-groomed one in fact. He’s just a fortunate victim of good hairstyling and a well timed photograph. One has to wonder, how many more adorable gems you can find in kill shelters?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- US Teen Violently Disowned by Family for Being Gay Receives Over $90K Support From Strangers [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How