Shoe Recycling: Kids Set a New World Record with 16,407 Pairs
By Gilda Galang | February 8, 2013 10:15 AM EST
It was a picture that looked like a footwear masterpiece, with shoes lined heel-to-toe as National Geographic Kids magazine aimed at a Guinness World Record for the largest number of shoes for recycling.
Children and adults from all over America sent pairs of unwanted rubber shoes for National Geographic's Run for the Planet campaign, reports Daily Mail.
On its website, National Geographic reports that Cameron Diaz was the guest editor for the green issue of NG Kids last October 2007. This time, she was part of the campaign, donating two pairs of sneakers as the kick-off.
Other celebrities and personalities to join in include member of the U.S. Women's soccer team Shannon Boxx, Angela Hucles, Lindsay Tarpley, Cat Whitehill, and Carli Lloyd.
MSN also reports that other celebrities have also scavenged their closets to find a pair to donate, including singer Taylor Swift, Eli Manning, Danica Patrick, Amanda Beard, and the boys of One Direction.
According to Daily Mail, the shoes will be part of the Nike Reuse-A-Shoe program, wherein donated shoes will be recycled to create material used for basketball courts and running tracks.
As if news of the attempt to set the record wasn't enough, NG Kids has also just claimed the Guinness World Records title for the most number of people running 100 meters in 24 hours.
This event was held last October 26 to October 27, where 30,914 people helped make the title possible. Among the runners included 2.601 participants from the 2012 Marine Corps Marathon Healthy Kids Fun Run. The Washington Post adds that school groups and girl scouts from as far as India had pushed the number to set the record.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Research Finds African Americans and Caribbean Blacks Experiencing Discrimination are at a Greater Risk for Mental Disorders
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet