Shoe Recycling: Kids Set a New World Record with 16,407 Pairs
By Gilda Galang | February 8, 2013 10:15 AM EST
It was a picture that looked like a footwear masterpiece, with shoes lined heel-to-toe as National Geographic Kids magazine aimed at a Guinness World Record for the largest number of shoes for recycling.
Children and adults from all over America sent pairs of unwanted rubber shoes for National Geographic's Run for the Planet campaign, reports Daily Mail.
On its website, National Geographic reports that Cameron Diaz was the guest editor for the green issue of NG Kids last October 2007. This time, she was part of the campaign, donating two pairs of sneakers as the kick-off.
Other celebrities and personalities to join in include member of the U.S. Women's soccer team Shannon Boxx, Angela Hucles, Lindsay Tarpley, Cat Whitehill, and Carli Lloyd.
MSN also reports that other celebrities have also scavenged their closets to find a pair to donate, including singer Taylor Swift, Eli Manning, Danica Patrick, Amanda Beard, and the boys of One Direction.
According to Daily Mail, the shoes will be part of the Nike Reuse-A-Shoe program, wherein donated shoes will be recycled to create material used for basketball courts and running tracks.
As if news of the attempt to set the record wasn't enough, NG Kids has also just claimed the Guinness World Records title for the most number of people running 100 meters in 24 hours.
This event was held last October 26 to October 27, where 30,914 people helped make the title possible. Among the runners included 2.601 participants from the 2012 Marine Corps Marathon Healthy Kids Fun Run. The Washington Post adds that school groups and girl scouts from as far as India had pushed the number to set the record.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Star Kourtney Kardashian Blamed For Khloe's Weight Gain Through Social Media Messages
- Caution to Diabetics: Artificial Sweeteners May Increase Blood Sugar Levels Based on Study
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone