Shoe Recycling: Kids Set a New World Record with 16,407 Pairs
By Gilda Galang | February 8, 2013 10:15 AM EST
It was a picture that looked like a footwear masterpiece, with shoes lined heel-to-toe as National Geographic Kids magazine aimed at a Guinness World Record for the largest number of shoes for recycling.
Children and adults from all over America sent pairs of unwanted rubber shoes for National Geographic's Run for the Planet campaign, reports Daily Mail.
On its website, National Geographic reports that Cameron Diaz was the guest editor for the green issue of NG Kids last October 2007. This time, she was part of the campaign, donating two pairs of sneakers as the kick-off.
Other celebrities and personalities to join in include member of the U.S. Women's soccer team Shannon Boxx, Angela Hucles, Lindsay Tarpley, Cat Whitehill, and Carli Lloyd.
MSN also reports that other celebrities have also scavenged their closets to find a pair to donate, including singer Taylor Swift, Eli Manning, Danica Patrick, Amanda Beard, and the boys of One Direction.
According to Daily Mail, the shoes will be part of the Nike Reuse-A-Shoe program, wherein donated shoes will be recycled to create material used for basketball courts and running tracks.
As if news of the attempt to set the record wasn't enough, NG Kids has also just claimed the Guinness World Records title for the most number of people running 100 meters in 24 hours.
This event was held last October 26 to October 27, where 30,914 people helped make the title possible. Among the runners included 2.601 participants from the 2012 Marine Corps Marathon Healthy Kids Fun Run. The Washington Post adds that school groups and girl scouts from as far as India had pushed the number to set the record.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS