Shoe Recycling: Kids Set a New World Record with 16,407 Pairs
By Gilda Galang | February 8, 2013 10:15 AM EST
It was a picture that looked like a footwear masterpiece, with shoes lined heel-to-toe as National Geographic Kids magazine aimed at a Guinness World Record for the largest number of shoes for recycling.
Children and adults from all over America sent pairs of unwanted rubber shoes for National Geographic's Run for the Planet campaign, reports Daily Mail.
On its website, National Geographic reports that Cameron Diaz was the guest editor for the green issue of NG Kids last October 2007. This time, she was part of the campaign, donating two pairs of sneakers as the kick-off.
Other celebrities and personalities to join in include member of the U.S. Women's soccer team Shannon Boxx, Angela Hucles, Lindsay Tarpley, Cat Whitehill, and Carli Lloyd.
MSN also reports that other celebrities have also scavenged their closets to find a pair to donate, including singer Taylor Swift, Eli Manning, Danica Patrick, Amanda Beard, and the boys of One Direction.
According to Daily Mail, the shoes will be part of the Nike Reuse-A-Shoe program, wherein donated shoes will be recycled to create material used for basketball courts and running tracks.
As if news of the attempt to set the record wasn't enough, NG Kids has also just claimed the Guinness World Records title for the most number of people running 100 meters in 24 hours.
This event was held last October 26 to October 27, where 30,914 people helped make the title possible. Among the runners included 2.601 participants from the 2012 Marine Corps Marathon Healthy Kids Fun Run. The Washington Post adds that school groups and girl scouts from as far as India had pushed the number to set the record.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Super Model Andreja Pejic Confirms Identity As Transgender
- Complete Darkness at Night Key Brings Maximum Success of Breast Cancer Therapy: Latest Study Reveals
- 9 Tips For Surviving a Plane Crash
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Six Seconds of Exercise 'Can Transform Health': Study Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]