China Residents to Make 3.4 Billion Trips for 15-Day Lunar New Year Holiday
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 8, 2013 9:43 AM EST
About one-sixth of the world population would slowdown for the next 15 days to celebrate the Chinese lunar New Year which starts Feb 10.
Chinese are expected to make a total of 3.4 billion trips during the two-week holiday, including migrant workers in cities who will return to the countryside to spend China's biggest holiday, equivalent to the yearend Christmas celebration in many western nations.
The travelers, who are jamming trains, airplanes and buses, must be home by Saturday to welcome the Chinese year of the snake.
The Chinese New Year is based on the country's version of zodiac signs which follows a 12-year cycle. The previous snake years were 2001, 1989 and 1977.
Based on the Year of the Snake sign, the Chinese believe people born in snake years will have inauspicious and difficult periods from time to time for the next 12 months, but they will be lucky financially through stable income from various sources, but not gambling.
To attract luck through the year, Raymond Ma, portfolio manager of the Fidelity China Consumer fund, pointed to six R's as their ladder to financial success in the Chinese equity market. These are recovery, reverse, reform, reflation, re-railing and rally.
However, Mr Ma warned of dangers or snakes in the form of inflation, depreciation of the Japanese currency, a longer eurozone crisis and an earlier end of quantitative easing in the U.S.
The optimism is shared by Hong Kong retailers which hope to benefit from the two-week holiday in terms of better sales. Even western retailers have joined the celebration by launching promotional campaigns.
Gap gave away Chinese New Year-themed T-shirts and tote bags for every purchase over $65, while Marks & Spencer slashed seasonal food prices by 20 per cent. Starbucks is selling gift envelopes with New Year designs, and Apple Asia had a Red Friday on Jan 25 by offering reduced prices for customers in Hong Kong and other Asian countries.
Some Chinese, though, prefer to travel overseas to celebrate the New Year. Australia is expecting 20,000 of them for the next two weeks. The foreign visitors, however, will not totally miss the Chinese-style of New Year celebrations since some cities like Cairns are holding street festivals.
Over the airwaves, ABC Local Radio will have a two-hour special that features Chinese chef, Poh Ling Yeow of Poh's Kitchen, a performance by singer-songwriter Sophie Koh and talk by Senator Penny Wong. ABC Extra will also feature for four days shows that will showcase Asian culture, food, history and music.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Trina Targets French Montana And Kardashian In A Song To Show What Happens To A Reject
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best