Root Galaxy S3 I9305 on Android
4.1.2 XXBMA5 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
Samsung recently rolled out its latest official Jelly Bean firmware Android 4.1.2 XXBMA5 for the Galaxy S3 I9305. The Galaxy S3 users who recently updated their device to the new official firmware via Over-The-Air (OTA) update, KIES or manual installation, can now root the device using this guide.
The rooting method employed in this guide uses CF-Auto-Root with ODIN flash tool. Users should note that once their device is rooted, its hardware warranty will be void. However, device warranty can be reclaimed by just reinstalling the official firmware.
NOTE: You need to download and install the Root Checker app from Google Play Store, to check if the device is actually rooted or not.
Key Points to Note
- CF-Auto-Root tool and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S3 I9305 model only and should not be tried on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone and ensure that the device has at least 80 percent battery charge.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy S3 on your computer (download Galaxy S3 I9305 USB drivers)
- Verify that USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- Custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) should be installed separately after rooting the device, as the root package does not install any such tools.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after rooting. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Root Galaxy S3 I9305 on Android 4.1.2 XXBMA5 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
Root Galaxy S3 I9305 on Android 4.1.2 XXBMA5 Jelly Bean Official Firmware Using CF-Auto-Root with ODIN 3.07
1. Extract CF-Auto-Root zip file to get a file with .tar extension in the extracted folder.
2. Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Switch off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Place the Galaxy S3 I9305 in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together while simultaneously tapping the Power button. When a "Warning!" message appears on screen, hit Power button again to progress into Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (check Step 2) as an Administrator, since Admin privileges are required to complete the rooting process.
6. Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable. A message reading "Added" appears in Odin's message box at the bottom left of the screen. If the message fails to appear, just try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of the computer). If all else fails, then just reinstall the USB drivers for your phone on the computer. When the successful "Added!!" message appears in Odin, proceed to the next step. At this point, the ID: COM port with the corresponding number turns Yellow if you successfully added the device.
7. Choose the following files in Odin using the respective command button:
- Click the PDA Button, and choose the CF-Auto-Root-m3-m3zh-gti9305.tar.md5 file.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes.
9. Verify that everything in step 7 and step 8 is done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the root flashing process.
10. Once the root is flashed completely, your phone will automatically reboot and a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Unplug the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Galaxy S3 I9305 is now rooted on Android 4.1.2 I9305XXBMA5 Jelly Bean official firmware. You can install apps that require root access.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: