UK December industrial output tops forecast after weak quarter
February 7, 2013 8:42 PM EST
British industrial output rose more than expected in December, although oil field shutdowns drove the biggest quarterly fall since early 2009, data showed on Thursday.
Within that, manufacturing output climbed 1.6 percent on the month in December after a fall of 0.3 percent in November, the Office for National Statistics said.
Industrial output, which includes energy production and mining, grew 1.1 percent after a revised 0.2 percent monthly rise in November.
Economists had predicted a monthly rise of 0.9 percent in industrial production and a 0.8 percent tick-up in manufacturing output.
Industrial production was 1.9 percent lower in the fourth quarter of 2012 than in the previous three months, the biggest fall since the first quarter of 2009.
In the last quarter of 2012, lower factory output was a key reason for a contraction in Britain's economy that brought it within sight of its third recession in four years.
Despite that risk, analysts do not expect the Bank of England to announce an extension to its programme of asset purchases later on Thursday, when it delivers its monthly policy decision.
There have been some tentative signs of an economic recovery at the start of this year, while policymakers also increasingly doubt the ability of more quantitative easing to lift demand.
Separate ONS data released on Thursday showed that Britain's goods trade deficit narrowed in December as forecast.
The goods trade deficit shrank to 8.897 billion pounds from 9.275 billion pounds in November. Economists had forecast a gap of 8.93 billion pounds.
(Reporting by Olesya Dmitracova and Patrick Graham)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff