Vodafone's European Revenues Tumble But Group Holds Full Year Profit Forecast
By Martin Baccardax | February 7, 2013 6:18 PM EST
Vodafone reported big declines in European revenues for its third quarter but said growth in emerging markets would keep full-year profit forecasts on track.
Service revenues across all of Vodafone's major European markets fell in the three months ending in December, the group's fiscal third quarter, the company said in a trading update published Thursday on its website. Group service revenue for the period fell 2.6 percent to £10.373bn ($16.3bn; €12bn).
However the group kept its full-year guidance for adjusted operating profit and free cash flow unchanged.
"Our results continue to reflect very difficult market conditions in Europe," said CEO Vittorio Colao in the statement. "We are addressing this through firm actions on cost efficiency, and continuing to invest in areas of growth potential. We continue to make progress in our Vodafone 2015 strategy, with good revenue growth in data and emerging markets, the launch of LTE services in another four markets and the acquisition of new spectrum."
Spain and Italy saw declines of 11.3 percent and 13.8 percent respectively. Across southern Europe, group service revenues fell 11.9 percent to £2.34bn, while markets in northern Europe notched a 0.9 percent revenue decline to £4.837bn. UK service revenues fell 5.2 percent, the company said.
Growth in the group's Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific operations, however, was a robust 2.7 percent, taking service revenues in that region to £3.147bn.
Vodafone shares rose 2.4 percent in early London trading to change hands at 174.5 pence each. The shares have risen 6.1 percent over the past month.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Canada Fears Ebola: Pulls Out Lab Team from Sierra Leone
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU