Vodafone's European Revenues Tumble But Group Holds Full Year Profit Forecast
By Martin Baccardax | February 7, 2013 6:18 PM EST
Vodafone reported big declines in European revenues for its third quarter but said growth in emerging markets would keep full-year profit forecasts on track.
Service revenues across all of Vodafone's major European markets fell in the three months ending in December, the group's fiscal third quarter, the company said in a trading update published Thursday on its website. Group service revenue for the period fell 2.6 percent to £10.373bn ($16.3bn; €12bn).
However the group kept its full-year guidance for adjusted operating profit and free cash flow unchanged.
"Our results continue to reflect very difficult market conditions in Europe," said CEO Vittorio Colao in the statement. "We are addressing this through firm actions on cost efficiency, and continuing to invest in areas of growth potential. We continue to make progress in our Vodafone 2015 strategy, with good revenue growth in data and emerging markets, the launch of LTE services in another four markets and the acquisition of new spectrum."
Spain and Italy saw declines of 11.3 percent and 13.8 percent respectively. Across southern Europe, group service revenues fell 11.9 percent to £2.34bn, while markets in northern Europe notched a 0.9 percent revenue decline to £4.837bn. UK service revenues fell 5.2 percent, the company said.
Growth in the group's Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific operations, however, was a robust 2.7 percent, taking service revenues in that region to £3.147bn.
Vodafone shares rose 2.4 percent in early London trading to change hands at 174.5 pence each. The shares have risen 6.1 percent over the past month.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers