Vodafone's European Revenues Tumble But Group Holds Full Year Profit Forecast
By Martin Baccardax | February 7, 2013 6:18 PM EST
Vodafone reported big declines in European revenues for its third quarter but said growth in emerging markets would keep full-year profit forecasts on track.
Service revenues across all of Vodafone's major European markets fell in the three months ending in December, the group's fiscal third quarter, the company said in a trading update published Thursday on its website. Group service revenue for the period fell 2.6 percent to £10.373bn ($16.3bn; €12bn).
However the group kept its full-year guidance for adjusted operating profit and free cash flow unchanged.
"Our results continue to reflect very difficult market conditions in Europe," said CEO Vittorio Colao in the statement. "We are addressing this through firm actions on cost efficiency, and continuing to invest in areas of growth potential. We continue to make progress in our Vodafone 2015 strategy, with good revenue growth in data and emerging markets, the launch of LTE services in another four markets and the acquisition of new spectrum."
Spain and Italy saw declines of 11.3 percent and 13.8 percent respectively. Across southern Europe, group service revenues fell 11.9 percent to £2.34bn, while markets in northern Europe notched a 0.9 percent revenue decline to £4.837bn. UK service revenues fell 5.2 percent, the company said.
Growth in the group's Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific operations, however, was a robust 2.7 percent, taking service revenues in that region to £3.147bn.
Vodafone shares rose 2.4 percent in early London trading to change hands at 174.5 pence each. The shares have risen 6.1 percent over the past month.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon