Vodafone's European Revenues Tumble But Group Holds Full Year Profit Forecast
By Martin Baccardax | February 7, 2013 6:18 PM EST
Vodafone reported big declines in European revenues for its third quarter but said growth in emerging markets would keep full-year profit forecasts on track.
Service revenues across all of Vodafone's major European markets fell in the three months ending in December, the group's fiscal third quarter, the company said in a trading update published Thursday on its website. Group service revenue for the period fell 2.6 percent to £10.373bn ($16.3bn; €12bn).
However the group kept its full-year guidance for adjusted operating profit and free cash flow unchanged.
"Our results continue to reflect very difficult market conditions in Europe," said CEO Vittorio Colao in the statement. "We are addressing this through firm actions on cost efficiency, and continuing to invest in areas of growth potential. We continue to make progress in our Vodafone 2015 strategy, with good revenue growth in data and emerging markets, the launch of LTE services in another four markets and the acquisition of new spectrum."
Spain and Italy saw declines of 11.3 percent and 13.8 percent respectively. Across southern Europe, group service revenues fell 11.9 percent to £2.34bn, while markets in northern Europe notched a 0.9 percent revenue decline to £4.837bn. UK service revenues fell 5.2 percent, the company said.
Growth in the group's Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific operations, however, was a robust 2.7 percent, taking service revenues in that region to £3.147bn.
Vodafone shares rose 2.4 percent in early London trading to change hands at 174.5 pence each. The shares have risen 6.1 percent over the past month.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS