Gina Rinehart’s JV Partner Discovers High-Quality Coal Near Bundaberg
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 7, 2013 2:33 PM EST
While Gina Rinehart remains Australia's richest person despite the reduction of her wealth by almost $1 billion to $17 billion due mainly to lower commodity prices, the mining magnate appears to be set on recovering her lost fortune.
To help her keep a hold on the number one post, International Coal, her joint venture partner, discovered high-quality coal near Bundaberg, which was recently inundated.
In a filing on Wednesday with the Australian Securities Exchange, International Coal informed the bourse of the results of its one drill hole in the Maryborough Basin. The drill yielded a coal swell index of 9, considered as high-quality coking coal, disclosed International Coal Chief Executive Glenn Simpson.
International Coal drilled at depths ranging from 30 to 428 metres. It found coal at the intersections with thickness ranging from 0.66 to 2.63 metres.
Queensland Coal Investments, owned by Ms Rinehart, inked an agreement in 2012 with International Coal in which QCI will spend $3 million on exploring tenements in Maryborough Basin in exchange for a 51 per cent stake in the project.
The basin, found in southeast Queensland, is made up of up to 9,500 metres of Late Triassic to Caonozoic sediments, under water depths up to 1,000 metres. Five petroleum onshore exploration wells were drilled in the area, but except for gas shows in Gregory River 1, the wells were dry.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June