Lakers Update: Pau Gasol Injured, Out for Six Weeks
By Czarina Malleta | February 7, 2013 2:24 PM EST
While Kobe Bryant leaves with a triumphant reel dunk, Pau Gasol left with an injured foot in the Lakers game against the Brooklyn Nets.
Bad news on Gasol as well as the rest of the team, the Lakers forward injured his foot badly and will not be able to play for at least six weeks. The Lakers are clouded with so much pressure since their severe losing streak but just when they are turning things their way, they lost Gasol as forward.
According to reports from CBS' Ken Berger, Gasol will be out of the game for at least six weeks. It would be a long period of time for a team that is thriving to win.
"Pau Gasol has a partial tear of his plantar fascia and is expected to be out at least six weeks, league source tells @CBSSports," a tweet from Berger confirmed.
But the news gets worse, Berger said that Gasol only has two options. One is to go to rehab which will take 6-8 weeks and the other is to perform surgery that would take about 10-12 weeks of recovery. But the thing is, if he did choose going under the knife, Gasol has a better chance for full recovery.
ESPN reporter Dave McMenamin said that Pau Gasol is "worried" about his injury but will surely take extra precautions.
''I'm hoping to recover asap so I can be back with the team and keep fighting until the end of the season," read one of Gasol's tweets.
The Lakers announced that they will be flying Gasol to Los Angeles on Thursday to have his injury examined by a team of physicians. They also announced that they will give a timeline on Gasol's return after the examination results.
Losing Gasol is a big disadvantage for the Lakers now that they are only beginning to improve with a total of six wins over seven games. It looks like the team, with the lead of Kobe, has to come up with strategies to sustain their momentum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales