Get Out of the Stock Market – and Into This
By The Daily Reckoning Australia | February 7, 2013 1:00 PM EST
Never was working-class Baltimore happier with its lot in life. Neighbors greeted each other with a smile. Co-workers exchanged stories...laughed...and slapped each other on the backs.
No one seemed to care about crime or trash...or corruption...or school teachers who can't read...or acres of boarded-up houses. Baltimore may be a dump. But no one complained.
It was pandemonium on Sunday night. Fireworks, horns, street parties, accidents...the drunks poured out of bars and basements...eager to give each other high fives and find their cars. Old timers said they couldn't recall so much merriment - ever. Even when WWII was over.
But this is a sports town. Football is more important to Baltimoreans than warfare. The typical resident of the Hampden or Dundalk neighborhoods would sooner lose a major war than lose the Super Bowl.
But the Ravens came through. They got so far ahead in the first half we worried that the refs would have to stop the game...out of pity for the opposing side. Instead, a cunning 49er fan must have thrown the switch and stopped the game.
When the power came back on, the birds couldn't find their mojo. But they didn't need it. They had enough of a cushion accumulated to protect their lead. A parade will take the team from City Hall to the stadium. Woe to uninformed travelers in the downtown area: you shall not pass!
Meanwhile, over in the stock market, the Dow fell. And here is some advice, worth every penny you pay for it:
Yes, dear reader, get out of the US stock market. Stocks are near an all-time high. Barron's tells readers to prepare to break the record this week.
Maybe. But when you are near the top you have more to lose than to gain.
Besides, we have a better idea.
'I took my money out of the stock market,' said a friend over the weekend. 'I figure stocks went up...they can go down. And I'm too old for that. So, I used the money to buy two new houses down by the military base at Solomon's Island. I paid only $160,000 for each. And they're new. And I'm renting them for $1,900 a month to soldiers with families. You can do the math yourself, but I figure I'm netting about 10%. And I don't think they're going to go down from here. I think they're going up.'
We gave our friend some advice too:
'Want to do even better? Get the biggest mortgage you can. You can get 30 year financing for...what...about 3.5%? And the real inflation rate is probably about 10%. So, you're making about 6.5% on borrowed money...plus the rental income. Let's see, that's about 16.5%... With very low risk. That's a lot better than the stock market.'
Try it. Let us know how it works out for you. Just send your 'thank you' notes to our email address.
for The Daily Reckoning Australia
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6