Google plans to litigate U.S. tax dispute with IRS
February 7, 2013 10:35 AM EST
Google Inc, which consumer groups have accused of trying to avoid payment of U.S. taxes, plans to sue the Internal Revenue Service over a tax audit, according to a federal securities filing.
The web search giant said it is appealing an IRS audit related to 2003 and 2004, but that on one undescribed issue, it plans to "litigate in court," said its annual filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, dated January 29.
A company spokeswoman was not available for comment.
Groups such as Citizens for Tax Justice accuse Google of using accounting gimmicks and paper transactions to shift profits to tax havens to avoid U.S. tax.
Google also said its tax rate for the United States declined in 2012, in part because of "proportionately more earnings realized in countries that have lower statutory tax rates."
Its effective tax rate fell to 19.4 percent in 2012, from 21 percent in 2011, according to the filing.
The United States has the highest statutory corporate income tax rate among its industrialized peers at 35 percent. Many companies say this hurts their competitiveness.
The tax rate paid, however, is highly variable across sectors, and tech companies in particular enjoy numerous options for transferring profits offshore to tax havens to avert tax.
President Barack Obama and Republicans both back lowering the corporate rate, though they differ on how to get there and whether new revenue should be raised in the process.
Several European countries are taking an aggressive stance on corporate tax avoidance, most notably the United Kingdom.
(Reporting by Kim Dixon; Editing by Kevin Drawbaugh and Steve Orlofsky)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People