ASUS VivoTab vs Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 7, 2013 10:34 AM EST
The tech world is beginning to shift from desktop computer units to notebooks which can be used as a computer and a tablet featuring Windows 8 and touchscreen capabilities.
New functionality provided by the latest Windows 8 from Microsoft made it possible for manufacturers to produce more laptop/tablet devices because of the technology which coincides with the new OS platform. Many new features and commands are accessible in Windows 8 unlike its predecessors even if the computing device has touchscreen response.
ASUS recently released the VivoTab series and it is currently powered by Intel Atom core processor. Lenovo also released in 2012 a Windows 8 tablet/laptop combination device called IdeaPad Yoga 11.
Hardware and Display
Both ASUS VivoTab and Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11 boast of an 11-inch screen display and have the same resolution of 1366x768. VivoTab's display is LED backlight screen with Super IPS+ technology and protected against scratches by Corning Fit Glass which prevents smudge with its anti-fingerprint coating. IdeaPad Yoga 11 has a LCD capacitive touchscreen with LED backlight feature as well and multi-touch capability. In general, VivoTab has more pack-up features to its display than IdeaPad but watch out for the possible price.
For speed and performance, ASUS has 1.8GHz dual-core of Intel Atom processor Z2760 while IdeaPad Yoga 11 has 1.3GHz quad-core of Tegra 3 T30 processor installed. The difference in their core numbers and clock speed are not the final basis, Intel Atom processors are receiving positive remarks when it comes to performance, heat and battery consumption.
On storage and virtual memory, VivoTab and IdeaPad Yoga 11 have 2GB of RAM installed and 64GB eMMC flash storage inside. For ASUS users, the ASUS WebStorage can also be used to expand storage for up to 32G within 3 years.
Software, Camera and Sensors
The VivoTab uses Windows 8 but a variant of Windows RT is also available. IdeaPad Yoga 11 uses the Windows RT version only which means there would be some features that are limited. The ASUS device can shoot with its 8MP rear shooter and 2MP front camera unit. IdeaPad Yoga 11 has only a webcam with 1MP and 720p video resolution.
ASUS VivoTab has also sensors installed which are needed if the user wants it in tablet mode. Sensors include G-Sensor, Light Sensor, Gyroscope, E-compass, and NFC. Aside from it, this device has also a Wacom digitizer stylus if a user wants a precise touch.
Portability and Battery
These devices are not any conventional notebooks because they can transform into another form. The VivoTab has two modes; the notebook mode which is any other portable computer and the tablet mode which allows the user to detach the screen from its keyboard without the need to turn it off. According to the ASUS Web site, the VivoTab can lasts more than 10 hours of usage as tablet and more than 19 hours under mobile dock.
The IdeaPad Yoga 11 is well known for its ultra-portability with four modes. The 360 degree uniqueness of this device generates the ace over other units in the market. The laptop mode is the traditional layout of a notebook device. Stand mode is pushing the screen way past 180 degrees and looks like a picture frame, best for watching videos or viewing image with little or no touch interactions. Tent mode looks literally like one. This mode is best for presentations in meetings for graph demonstrations and PowerPoint slide. And last is the tablet mode wherein a user doesn't have to remove it from the keys, but simply just needs to back the screen all the way to 360 degrees and it becomes a tablet. The Verge quoted the IdeaPad Yoga 11 with 13 hours of battery life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet