Tunisia 'In Flames' After Opposition Leader Gunned Down
By Maya Shwayder | February 7, 2013 10:10 AM EST
Tunisian secular opposition leader Chokri Belaid, 48, was gunned down on his way to work Wednesday morning in Tunis, the capital.
According to the BBC, Belaid is the first Tunisian politician to be assassinated since the revolution two years ago. He was the leader of the Popular Front party, and an outspoken critic of the government and the ruling Islamist Ennahda party.
President Moncef Marzouki cut short a visit to Europe to return to Tunisia. He denounced Belaid’s murder as “hateful.”
French President Francoise Hollande called Belaid’s death a loss of “one of [Tunisia’s] most courageous and free voices,” CNN reported.
Violent protests have erupted all over the country throughout the day. Police in Tunis fired tear gas to disperse people outside the Interior Ministry offices, the BBC said. People also rallied on Avenue Habib Bourguiba in the south of the city, the New York Times reported, shouting the old slogan of the 2011 revolution: “The people want to topple the regime.”
The gunman has not yet been identified, nor has any party claimed responsibility.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June