PETA Lashes Beyoncé For Reptile-Killing Super Bowl Outfit
By Christopher Zara | February 7, 2013 9:41 AM EST
Beyoncé Knowles killed in her Super Bowl halftime show, and apparently so did her outfit.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is criticizing the “Single Ladies” singer for attire she wore during her critically fawned-over halftime performance on Sunday -- a black-leather body suit fashioned from the skins of various animals, including cows, snakes and lizards.
The outspoken animal-rights organization said the outfit, by the Russian-American designer Rubin Singer, is out of step with much of the work produced by today’s fashion designers, who are turning toward more “humane vegan options.” The group was particularly distraught over the outfit’s use of so-called exotic skins, the trade of which results in the slaughter of millions of reptiles each year, according to PETA.
“We need more awareness in this area,” said Lindsay Rajt, PETA’s associate director of campaigns and outreach. “People aren’t as familiar with reptiles as they are with the furry animals they share their homes with, but snakes and lizards are every bit as sentient as dogs and cats, and they do suffer.”
The skins of python, anaconda and alligator are common in handbags and other accessories, but critics say the methods used to poach the animals and remove their skins are needlessly cruel. In many cases, Rajt said, the animals’ skins are removed while they are still alive. At slaughterhouses in places like the Javanese jungle, in Indonesia, pythons are skinned alive and then tossed into a pile where they can live in agony for hours or days before succumbing to shock or dehydration.
“Our undercover investigations have turned up stomach-turning cases of cruelty,” Rajt said. “We’ve seen poachers nailing the heads of live snakes to trees, animals left in pain to suffer and die, all for a handbag or a shoe.”
Singer, who designed Beyoncé’s Super Bowl outfit specifically for her performance, did not respond to a request for comment. According to a blog post by the designer, the star’s body suit was supposed to be reminiscent of “warrior armor.” “Strips of engineered python, paneled iguana and trapunto/pick stitched leather were sewn together in contrast to the flounce skirt and insets of delicate black Chantilly lace in areas where skin can be seen,” Singer wrote.
Despite this incident, Rajt said she has become encouraged in recent years by a “growing list” of companies that have pledged not to sell merchandise made from exotic skins, a list that includes clothing companies such as Nike and retailers such as H&M and Overstock.com.
PETA’s relationship with Beyoncé has ebbed and flowed over the years. The group has often criticized the “Dreamgirls” singer for parading around in fur coats and other non-vegan attire. In one instance in 2006, PETA even confronted her at a restaurant in an attempt to “reason with Beyoncé on the subject.”
In 2008, the group declared a “ceasefire” with the singer after a report came out stating that she had given up fur. But as recently as January, Beyoncé was at it again, donning a fur coat for her appearance at President Barack Obama’s inauguration.
PETA said it has not yet heard from Beyoncé regarding the Super Bowl outfit or the inaugural fur coat, but the group is holding out hope that the pop star will one day commit to the decision to “go faux.”
“Our hope is that she’ll choose more cruelty-free looks in the future,” Rajt said. “We have a long, long list of celebrities who are fur-free: Penelope Cruz, Kristen Stewart and even Michelle Obama has said publicly that she will no longer wear fur.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports