FSA's Turner backs Carney on broader central bank targets
February 7, 2013 6:14 AM EST
Central banks should consider targets beyond keeping inflation in check, given the severity of fallout from the financial crisis, UK Financial Services Authority Chairman Adair Turner said on Wednesday.
In a wide-ranging analysis of the difficulties being faced by policymakers to boost sluggish economies, Turner said a fundamental rethink may be needed in strategy.
Over the past three decades central banks have focused on keeping inflation within a certain target over the medium term but relying only on this core task is now being extensively challenged.
Mark Carney, the Bank of Canada governor who will take over the top job at the Bank of England in July - a post Turner had also applied for - has suggested a range of goals such as targeting a certain level of nominal gross domestic product.
Turner said such alternative targets should be considered as the ability of central banks to manage medium-term interest rate expectations may be seriously undermined given that interest rates in Britain and elsewhere are close to zero.
He said the more attractive alternative targets included a pre-commitment to keep rates low until and unless unemployment or inflation targets are met - the approach taken by the Federal Reserve.
"But there are also strong arguments for making any such shift temporary and for focusing strongly on how to achieve exit from a temporary regime, reverting to an inflation target when appropriate," Turner told students at the Cass Business School in London.
Carney on Thursday will be grilled by a panel of British lawmakers on his appointment and ideas he has aired for boosting economic growth.
Turner's current job ends next month when the FSA will be scrapped and the Bank of England becomes the main regulator for banks in Britain.
(Reporting by Huw Jones; editing by Stephen Nisbet)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch