NBA Rumors: Houston Rockets To Go After Dwight Howard Or Andrew Bynum In Summer 2013?
February 7, 2013 6:03 AM EST
Perceived as one of the big players in this summer's free agency, the Houston Rockets have made no secret about their desire for current Los Angeles Laker center Dwight Howard.
However the Rockets do have a back-up plan, and may pursue injured big Philadelphia 76ers big man Andrew Bynum, according to ESPN.
One again Howard and Bynum find themselves at the center of NBA teams struggle to land a franchise center. Both were the centerpieces in the biggest trade of last offseason, with Howard leaving the Orlando Magic and Bynum shipped out of L.A.
The Rockets were thought to be one of the teams chasing a Howard trade last year, but didn't have a desirable enough package to send back to Orlando.
Houston has about $39 million committed to salary next season, which leaves them plenty of room to make a pitch to free-agent to be Howard. The 27-year-old three-time Defensive Player of the Year has fought through back and shoulder injuries this season, with his scoring and rebounding taking a significant hit.
Despite those setbacks, Howard is still seen as the top center in the league and this summer. Under the new salary cap rules that will kick in next year, Howard can make upwards of $17 million a season. A bit of a hit for Howard, who is making $19.2 million this season.
Bynum hasn’t seen the court at all this season due to severe knee injuries that were reportedly re-aggravated after a night of bowling. According to USA Today, Bynum was planning on a return to the court sometime this month, but that was before injections he had in his knee didn’t work as well as he and the 76ers had hoped.
A healthy Bynum contributed to two Lakers championships, with his powerful build, polished post moves, and ability to control the paint. For his career, Bynum has averaged 11.7 points 7.8 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game.
The Lakers traded for Howard hoping a season on the left coast would convince him to sign a long-term max-deal. Los Angeles is currently 3 ½ games back of Houston for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference, and Howard has missed three straight with a torn labrum. Los Angeles reportedly told Howard they would not trade him, as it was rumored they were exploring such options.
The 27-23 Rockets are on pace to make the playoffs for the first time since 2009, with guards Jeremy Lin and James Harden guiding the NBA’s second highest scoring offense. A big man like Howard or Bynum could place Houston amongst the elite in the West for the next half decade.
Houston almost landed L.A.'s other big man Pau Gasol, but that trade was nixed by NBA commissioner David Stern before last season. The same trade would have sent point guard Chris Paul to the Lakers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members