NBA Rumors: Houston Rockets To Go After Dwight Howard Or Andrew Bynum In Summer 2013?
February 7, 2013 6:03 AM EST
Perceived as one of the big players in this summer's free agency, the Houston Rockets have made no secret about their desire for current Los Angeles Laker center Dwight Howard.
However the Rockets do have a back-up plan, and may pursue injured big Philadelphia 76ers big man Andrew Bynum, according to ESPN.
One again Howard and Bynum find themselves at the center of NBA teams struggle to land a franchise center. Both were the centerpieces in the biggest trade of last offseason, with Howard leaving the Orlando Magic and Bynum shipped out of L.A.
The Rockets were thought to be one of the teams chasing a Howard trade last year, but didn't have a desirable enough package to send back to Orlando.
Houston has about $39 million committed to salary next season, which leaves them plenty of room to make a pitch to free-agent to be Howard. The 27-year-old three-time Defensive Player of the Year has fought through back and shoulder injuries this season, with his scoring and rebounding taking a significant hit.
Despite those setbacks, Howard is still seen as the top center in the league and this summer. Under the new salary cap rules that will kick in next year, Howard can make upwards of $17 million a season. A bit of a hit for Howard, who is making $19.2 million this season.
Bynum hasn’t seen the court at all this season due to severe knee injuries that were reportedly re-aggravated after a night of bowling. According to USA Today, Bynum was planning on a return to the court sometime this month, but that was before injections he had in his knee didn’t work as well as he and the 76ers had hoped.
A healthy Bynum contributed to two Lakers championships, with his powerful build, polished post moves, and ability to control the paint. For his career, Bynum has averaged 11.7 points 7.8 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game.
The Lakers traded for Howard hoping a season on the left coast would convince him to sign a long-term max-deal. Los Angeles is currently 3 ½ games back of Houston for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference, and Howard has missed three straight with a torn labrum. Los Angeles reportedly told Howard they would not trade him, as it was rumored they were exploring such options.
The 27-23 Rockets are on pace to make the playoffs for the first time since 2009, with guards Jeremy Lin and James Harden guiding the NBA’s second highest scoring offense. A big man like Howard or Bynum could place Houston amongst the elite in the West for the next half decade.
Houston almost landed L.A.'s other big man Pau Gasol, but that trade was nixed by NBA commissioner David Stern before last season. The same trade would have sent point guard Chris Paul to the Lakers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown