Ireland plans to liquidate Anglo Irish Bank - source
By Laura Noonan and Padraic Halpin | February 7, 2013 4:14 AM EST
Ireland plans to liquidate failed Anglo Irish Bank as part of a deal it is seeking to strike with the European Central Bank (ECB) to ease its bank debt burden, a source familiar with the discussions said on Wednesday.
The ECB rejected Ireland's preferred solution to reschedule part of its bank bailout bill when its board discussed the plan for the first time last month, EU sources familiar with the talks told Reuters.
Irish Central Bank governor Patrick Honohan, the country's representative on the ECB's Governing Council, will put a revised plan to his fellow central bank governors on Wednesday evening in Frankfurt, a second source said.
Under the plan Honohan will present, Anglo Irish Bank, now known as IBRC, will be liquidated so that the government no longer has to make hefty annual payments on a 28 billion euro promissory note used to bail it out.
Ireland is desperate to avoid having to pay a politically incendiary 3.1 billion euros a year until 2023 to service the notes issued to underwrite Anglo and has been in talks to do so for some 18 months.
(Editing by Alexander Smith)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports