Ireland plans to liquidate Anglo Irish Bank - source
By Laura Noonan and Padraic Halpin | February 7, 2013 4:14 AM EST
Ireland plans to liquidate failed Anglo Irish Bank as part of a deal it is seeking to strike with the European Central Bank (ECB) to ease its bank debt burden, a source familiar with the discussions said on Wednesday.
The ECB rejected Ireland's preferred solution to reschedule part of its bank bailout bill when its board discussed the plan for the first time last month, EU sources familiar with the talks told Reuters.
Irish Central Bank governor Patrick Honohan, the country's representative on the ECB's Governing Council, will put a revised plan to his fellow central bank governors on Wednesday evening in Frankfurt, a second source said.
Under the plan Honohan will present, Anglo Irish Bank, now known as IBRC, will be liquidated so that the government no longer has to make hefty annual payments on a 28 billion euro promissory note used to bail it out.
Ireland is desperate to avoid having to pay a politically incendiary 3.1 billion euros a year until 2023 to service the notes issued to underwrite Anglo and has been in talks to do so for some 18 months.
(Editing by Alexander Smith)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June