Superkid Striker Ready To Compete WIth Demba Ba For Chelsea Spot
By Vanessa Keller | February 7, 2013 3:42 AM EST
Romelu Lukaku claims he is aiming to become a legend at Chelsea, with the young striker planning on staying with the west London club for the long term, despite stern competition for a starting berth.
The Blues signed Demba Ba in the January transfer window to increase their attacking options, while Lukaku has so far starred for West Brom on loan this season.
And though the 19 year old will compete with Ba when he returns to Chelsea in the summer, Lukaku claims he is motivated by the competition.
"That's the thing when you play for Chelsea," he told Sky Sports. "They will always sign big players.
"So now it is up to me to show I can go over there and play and do the same as he does now."
Lukaku was purchased by Chelsea when Andre Villas-Boas was still managing the club but there hs been two managerial changeovers at the club since.
And despite the youngster facing an uphill battle as he makes his return to Stamford Bridge, the Belgium international says he has big plans to emulate the likes of Frank Lampard and John Terry by becoming a Chelsea legend.
"Yeah, that is the dream. That's what I signed for Chelsea for," he explained.
"My aim is to play at the Bridge and to be a legend over there in the future.
"But the time is going so really I need to keep playing. And hopefully in the next few years become one of the key elements at the Bridge."
In 27 appearances for West Brom this season, Lukaku has scored nine times, showing talent beyond his years as the teen looks to impress his host club.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Marcos Maidana Heavily Praised By Mexican Boxing Legends
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine