Superkid Striker Ready To Compete WIth Demba Ba For Chelsea Spot
By Vanessa Keller | February 7, 2013 3:42 AM EST
Romelu Lukaku claims he is aiming to become a legend at Chelsea, with the young striker planning on staying with the west London club for the long term, despite stern competition for a starting berth.
The Blues signed Demba Ba in the January transfer window to increase their attacking options, while Lukaku has so far starred for West Brom on loan this season.
And though the 19 year old will compete with Ba when he returns to Chelsea in the summer, Lukaku claims he is motivated by the competition.
"That's the thing when you play for Chelsea," he told Sky Sports. "They will always sign big players.
"So now it is up to me to show I can go over there and play and do the same as he does now."
Lukaku was purchased by Chelsea when Andre Villas-Boas was still managing the club but there hs been two managerial changeovers at the club since.
And despite the youngster facing an uphill battle as he makes his return to Stamford Bridge, the Belgium international says he has big plans to emulate the likes of Frank Lampard and John Terry by becoming a Chelsea legend.
"Yeah, that is the dream. That's what I signed for Chelsea for," he explained.
"My aim is to play at the Bridge and to be a legend over there in the future.
"But the time is going so really I need to keep playing. And hopefully in the next few years become one of the key elements at the Bridge."
In 27 appearances for West Brom this season, Lukaku has scored nine times, showing talent beyond his years as the teen looks to impress his host club.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet