Signing Day 2013: SEC Giants Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia And Ole Miss Battle For Elite Prospects
February 7, 2013 3:27 AM EST
The SEC has been the most dominant conference in college football in recent years, and looks to get even stronger on National Signing Day 2013.
No conference signed more elite prospects than the SEC. Only two of the top nine players in this year’s class, according to ESPN’s rankings, have not agreed to go to an SEC school.
While Alabama just won its third national championship, and teams like Georgia and Florida finished the 2012 season with two losses apiece, it might be Ole Miss that has been the biggest winners of the day.
The Rebels landed some of the best recruits available, including the top defensive end, offensive tackle and wide receiver, according to ESPN. The nation’s No.1 overall recruit, defensive end Robert Nkemdiche, picked Ole Miss over rival schools LSU and Florida.
"I feel like it's the right place for me," said Nkemdiche, who will play with his brother Denzel. "I feel like they can do special things, and they're on the rise.”
Ole Miss also signed top offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil. He chose the Rebels over Alabama and Georgia, which were the two best teams in the SEC this past year. Tunsil is part of a class that will look to turn around a team that went 3-5 in the conference in 2012.
Despite losing some players to Mississippi, the national champs still had as good of a day as any team. According to rivals.com, Alabama has the No.2 recruiting class of 2013. They join Notre Dame, Ole Miss, and USC as the only teams to have at least five three-star commits.
Florida came close to making the national championship game in 2012, losing just one game in SEC play. Now, they’ve added the best cornerback available. Vernon Hargreaves III committed to playing for the Gators. Top running back recruit Kelvin Taylor will also play for Florida in 2013.
LSU and Georgia also have top classes, ranked fifth and 11th, respectively, by rivals.com.
The Tigers signed a number of defensive standouts for 2013, including Kendell Beckwith and Tre’Davious White. LSU went 10-3 this past season, finishing 14th in the final AP ranking.
The Bulldogs didn’t land any five-star recruits, but improved their team by landing potential stars like defensive backs Tray Matthews and Shaq Wiggins, as well as Tramel Terry, who can play both offense and defense.
Auburn gives the SEC its sixth team in the top 12 recruiting classes. Nkemdiche may be the top recruit on the defensive line, but Carl Lawson isn’t far behind him. Along with Montravius Adams, the new class will look to improve an Auburn team that had a disastrous 2012 season. The Tigers didn’t win one SEC contest, just two years after they beat Oregon in the BCS National Championship Game.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install