Winter Storm Nemo Brings Snow This Weekend To Northeast U.S., Possible Blizzard Conditions Around Boston
By Roxanne Palmer | February 7, 2013 3:34 AM EST
Famed groundhog weatherman Punxsutawney Phil may have predicted an early spring, but this winter seems intent on going out with a bang. Meteorologists are predicting a ‘blockbuster’ snowstorm for the Northeastern U.S. this weekend, as two separate weather systems are expected to combine into one burgeoning Nor'easter that the Weather Channel has dubbed Winter Storm Nemo.
This weekend is likely to bring traffic and travel delays for anyone coming near Nemo’s path, so travelers and residents of the Northeast should keep an eye on the weather reports.
On Thursday, a fast-moving low pressure weather system, called an Alberta clipper, will be crossing the Midwest heading east, while a broad rainstorm moves up from the Southern states.
By Friday afternoon, the intersection of the clipper and the rainstorm is likely to cause snow from Michigan to upstate New York and New England. But the weathermen are predicting that the big cities south of New England – New York City, Philadelphia, D.C. and Baltimore – will mostly be getting rain, with the possibility of sleet.
The question of where the clipper and the rainstorm meet could affect the forecast for a number of cities, especially Boston. Meteorologists aren’t exactly sure.
“The European model, which is the generally the best model we have, has continued to insist there is going to be this really big storm but the other models are not bullish on it at all,” Weather Channel meteorologist Carl Parker told NBC. “The difference is -- will it be a blockbuster for places like Boston?”
But it’s the weekend that will bring the most interesting weather.
From Friday night to Saturday, the newly combined storm will inch along the Northeast coast, and is expected to cross what’s called the 40/70 benchmark, a point out in the ocean, 100 miles southeast of Montauk Point located at 40 degrees North and 70 degrees West. Most big east coast snowstorms cross this point as they move towards the northeastern U.S.
Blizzard conditions are possible in parts of Massachusetts, including Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket Island, according to the Weather Channel. Major cities from Providence, R.I. to Portland, Me. are likely to experience heavy snow.
TWC points out that February has been a big month for snowstorms in recent years. Both 2010’s “Snowmageddon” and a 2006 record storm that dumped more than two feet of snow onto Central Park in New York City were February storms.
The Weather Channel started assigning names to winter storm systems in 2012, saying the move would raise awareness about encroaching dangerous weather and help keep people safe.
But most other meteorological organizations aren’t buying into the name game. The National Weather Service has declined to adopt the practice, and sent out a memo to workers asking their staff not to use the Weather Channel’s names for storms.
Unlike hurricanes, “a winter storm's impact can vary from one location to another, and storms can weaken and redevelop, making it difficult to define where one ends and another begins,” the NWS said in a news release last October.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- Leonardo DiCaprio Donates $2M To Fight Illegal Fishing And Support Oceans
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage