Is Google Outpacing Apple?
By Mark Knapp | February 7, 2013 1:54 AM EST
When of apps to choose from, Apple had great sway over the market.
But, since Google’s entry in the market, Apple has been losing its lead in many fields. Recently, Google’s app store has even matched Apple’s.
In the fourth quarter, Google managed to double the sale of applications in its online store, while Apple only boosted its revenue 20 percent. Back in October, Google boasted 700,000 applications, matching Apple’s count for that month, and Google doesn’t plan to slow the expansion of its market.
to users’ iTunes accounts makes it easier for users to purchase apps. Also, the limited variety of iPhones makes it easier for app developers to do their jobs, as fewer version of the apps are required — where an app might need 2,400 versions for Android, it would only need 40 for iOS.
However, Google is steadily improving its app environment, working with developers to help make their work easier. And it’s working. Where app developers had only taken 15 percent of their revenue from Google a year ago, now they make as much as 40 percent. Google is also working to make it easier for users to purchase apps — in Japan and South Korea, app purchases can be billed directly to mobile carriers, and developer revenues in those areas jumped almost 14-fold.
While the iPhone may still be the single most-popular smartphone, it is facing an ever growing swarm of Android devices. Google’s divide-and-conquer approach of sharing its Android with smartphone manufacturers like Samsung (SSNLF.PK), HTC, and countless others, has allowed the software to take too large of a to be ignored. And with that dominance, Google has been increasingly able to overtake Apple in various aspects of the smartphone market.
Copyright Wall St. Cheat Street. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage