Is Google Outpacing Apple?
By Mark Knapp | February 7, 2013 1:54 AM EST
When of apps to choose from, Apple had great sway over the market.
But, since Google’s entry in the market, Apple has been losing its lead in many fields. Recently, Google’s app store has even matched Apple’s.
In the fourth quarter, Google managed to double the sale of applications in its online store, while Apple only boosted its revenue 20 percent. Back in October, Google boasted 700,000 applications, matching Apple’s count for that month, and Google doesn’t plan to slow the expansion of its market.
to users’ iTunes accounts makes it easier for users to purchase apps. Also, the limited variety of iPhones makes it easier for app developers to do their jobs, as fewer version of the apps are required — where an app might need 2,400 versions for Android, it would only need 40 for iOS.
However, Google is steadily improving its app environment, working with developers to help make their work easier. And it’s working. Where app developers had only taken 15 percent of their revenue from Google a year ago, now they make as much as 40 percent. Google is also working to make it easier for users to purchase apps — in Japan and South Korea, app purchases can be billed directly to mobile carriers, and developer revenues in those areas jumped almost 14-fold.
While the iPhone may still be the single most-popular smartphone, it is facing an ever growing swarm of Android devices. Google’s divide-and-conquer approach of sharing its Android with smartphone manufacturers like Samsung (SSNLF.PK), HTC, and countless others, has allowed the software to take too large of a to be ignored. And with that dominance, Google has been increasingly able to overtake Apple in various aspects of the smartphone market.
Copyright Wall St. Cheat Street. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports