Is Google Outpacing Apple?
By Mark Knapp | February 7, 2013 1:54 AM EST
When of apps to choose from, Apple had great sway over the market.
But, since Google’s entry in the market, Apple has been losing its lead in many fields. Recently, Google’s app store has even matched Apple’s.
In the fourth quarter, Google managed to double the sale of applications in its online store, while Apple only boosted its revenue 20 percent. Back in October, Google boasted 700,000 applications, matching Apple’s count for that month, and Google doesn’t plan to slow the expansion of its market.
to users’ iTunes accounts makes it easier for users to purchase apps. Also, the limited variety of iPhones makes it easier for app developers to do their jobs, as fewer version of the apps are required — where an app might need 2,400 versions for Android, it would only need 40 for iOS.
However, Google is steadily improving its app environment, working with developers to help make their work easier. And it’s working. Where app developers had only taken 15 percent of their revenue from Google a year ago, now they make as much as 40 percent. Google is also working to make it easier for users to purchase apps — in Japan and South Korea, app purchases can be billed directly to mobile carriers, and developer revenues in those areas jumped almost 14-fold.
While the iPhone may still be the single most-popular smartphone, it is facing an ever growing swarm of Android devices. Google’s divide-and-conquer approach of sharing its Android with smartphone manufacturers like Samsung (SSNLF.PK), HTC, and countless others, has allowed the software to take too large of a to be ignored. And with that dominance, Google has been increasingly able to overtake Apple in various aspects of the smartphone market.
Copyright Wall St. Cheat Street. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region