Brent Steady as Positive PMI Data Overpowers Political Scandal
By Laura Brodbeck | February 7, 2013 1:12 AM EST
Brent crude oil held steadily above $116 on Wednesday morning after fears that the eurozone's political problems would derail the region's recent recovery were overshadowed by positive data which suggested the global economy was on the mend.
The commodity traded at $116.26 on Wednesday morning.
Political uncertainty in two of the weakest eurozone countries threatened to impede the region's recent momentum earlier in the week when both Spain and Italy released political news that shook investors' confidence.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy was accused of being a part of an illegal payment scandal, causing his opponents to call for his resignation. If Rajoy resigned, many believe the political turmoil would undo much of the country's steps to progress.
In Italy, controversial candidate and former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi showed promise in the polls leading up to the country's elections, set for the end of the month. Berlusconi's previous term as Prime Minister ended disastrously, causing investors to worry about his reelection.
However, pressure from the political scandals was overpowered by positive data from the eurozone; which showed that the region's recovery was still on track. Europe's business activity data suggested that the eurozone economy was still on mend and calmed the market's nerves.
According to CNBC, Markit's Eurozone Composite PMI data was at its highest level in 10 months. Eurozone PMI rose from 47.2 in December to 48.6 in January, suggesting the region's economic health was improving.
The figures still settled below 50, which indicated contraction rather than growth; but a steady increase over the past three months has provided an encouraging outlook.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 29, 2014
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 25, 2014
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal