Brent Steady as Positive PMI Data Overpowers Political Scandal
By Laura Brodbeck | February 7, 2013 1:12 AM EST
Brent crude oil held steadily above $116 on Wednesday morning after fears that the eurozone's political problems would derail the region's recent recovery were overshadowed by positive data which suggested the global economy was on the mend.
The commodity traded at $116.26 on Wednesday morning.
Political uncertainty in two of the weakest eurozone countries threatened to impede the region's recent momentum earlier in the week when both Spain and Italy released political news that shook investors' confidence.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy was accused of being a part of an illegal payment scandal, causing his opponents to call for his resignation. If Rajoy resigned, many believe the political turmoil would undo much of the country's steps to progress.
In Italy, controversial candidate and former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi showed promise in the polls leading up to the country's elections, set for the end of the month. Berlusconi's previous term as Prime Minister ended disastrously, causing investors to worry about his reelection.
However, pressure from the political scandals was overpowered by positive data from the eurozone; which showed that the region's recovery was still on track. Europe's business activity data suggested that the eurozone economy was still on mend and calmed the market's nerves.
According to CNBC, Markit's Eurozone Composite PMI data was at its highest level in 10 months. Eurozone PMI rose from 47.2 in December to 48.6 in January, suggesting the region's economic health was improving.
The figures still settled below 50, which indicated contraction rather than growth; but a steady increase over the past three months has provided an encouraging outlook.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones