Biogen Idec To Buy Elan’s Stake In MS Drug Tysabri For $3.2 Billion
By Moran Zhang | February 7, 2013 1:08 AM EST
Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ:BIIB) has agreed to make an upfront payment of $3.2 billion and later pay royalties to acquire sole ownership of the multiple sclerosis drug Tysabri from its Irish partner Elan Corp. PLC (NYSE:ELN), which owns 50 percent of the world's second-biggest MS drug.
Tysabri, which many doctors and patients view as one of the most effective therapies now on the market in treating MS, brought in $1.1 billion in sales for Biogen last year. That’s second only to its lead MS drug Avonex, which generated revenue of $2.9 billion in 2012, according to company filings.
Biogen said it will use its existing cash reserves to make the $3.25 billion payment. Future contingent payments will equal 12 percent of global net sales of Tysabri for the first 12 months. After that, Biogen will continue to make contingent payments of 18 percent on annual global net sales of Tysabri up to $2 billion and 25 percent on annual global net sales that exceed $2 billion.
Biogen expects the deal to add between 20 cents to 30 cents to its per-share earnings for the year, and 50 cents to 60 cents to its adjusted per-share earnings.
American depositary receipts of Elan -- which trade on both the New York and Irish stock exchanges -- rose 1.82 percent to $10.65 in Wednesday’s premarket trading. Shares of Biogen rose 5.28 percent to $165.67.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unprecedented 8 Australians In the NBA In The 2014-2015 Season: Dante Exum, Patty Mills and Andrew Bogut Look To Make Big Contributions
- UFC President Dana White Open For The Return Of Brock Lesnar In The UFC
- Serena Williams Receives Written Apology From Russian Tennis Federation President
- Prince Harry Spotted Leaving Restaurant In London Followed By Ladies, Ignites Dating Reports
- ‘Sherlock’ Season 4 Update Round-Up: Moriarty’s Return, Devastating Plan, One-Off Episode
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS