Biogen Idec To Buy Elan’s Stake In MS Drug Tysabri For $3.2 Billion
By Moran Zhang | February 7, 2013 1:08 AM EST
Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ:BIIB) has agreed to make an upfront payment of $3.2 billion and later pay royalties to acquire sole ownership of the multiple sclerosis drug Tysabri from its Irish partner Elan Corp. PLC (NYSE:ELN), which owns 50 percent of the world's second-biggest MS drug.
Tysabri, which many doctors and patients view as one of the most effective therapies now on the market in treating MS, brought in $1.1 billion in sales for Biogen last year. That’s second only to its lead MS drug Avonex, which generated revenue of $2.9 billion in 2012, according to company filings.
Biogen said it will use its existing cash reserves to make the $3.25 billion payment. Future contingent payments will equal 12 percent of global net sales of Tysabri for the first 12 months. After that, Biogen will continue to make contingent payments of 18 percent on annual global net sales of Tysabri up to $2 billion and 25 percent on annual global net sales that exceed $2 billion.
Biogen expects the deal to add between 20 cents to 30 cents to its per-share earnings for the year, and 50 cents to 60 cents to its adjusted per-share earnings.
American depositary receipts of Elan -- which trade on both the New York and Irish stock exchanges -- rose 1.82 percent to $10.65 in Wednesday’s premarket trading. Shares of Biogen rose 5.28 percent to $165.67.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L Developer Preview Issues Won't Receive Bug Fixing Patches; Nexus 6 to Run Android L on Fall 2014 --Reports
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: CIA and Ukraine Together ‘Orchestrated’ Boeing 777’s Shot Down, Russian Media Accuses- Report
- Beyonce Not Divorcing with Jay-Z, Posts Sassy Picture Showing Love to Feminism Movement
- Don't Try Harder to Learn Any Language, It Makes Things Difficult: Neuroscientists Say
- BlackBerry vs Samsung Stock: Which Is a Better Buy?
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June