Biogen Idec To Buy Elan’s Stake In MS Drug Tysabri For $3.2 Billion
By Moran Zhang | February 7, 2013 1:08 AM EST
Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ:BIIB) has agreed to make an upfront payment of $3.2 billion and later pay royalties to acquire sole ownership of the multiple sclerosis drug Tysabri from its Irish partner Elan Corp. PLC (NYSE:ELN), which owns 50 percent of the world's second-biggest MS drug.
Tysabri, which many doctors and patients view as one of the most effective therapies now on the market in treating MS, brought in $1.1 billion in sales for Biogen last year. That’s second only to its lead MS drug Avonex, which generated revenue of $2.9 billion in 2012, according to company filings.
Biogen said it will use its existing cash reserves to make the $3.25 billion payment. Future contingent payments will equal 12 percent of global net sales of Tysabri for the first 12 months. After that, Biogen will continue to make contingent payments of 18 percent on annual global net sales of Tysabri up to $2 billion and 25 percent on annual global net sales that exceed $2 billion.
Biogen expects the deal to add between 20 cents to 30 cents to its per-share earnings for the year, and 50 cents to 60 cents to its adjusted per-share earnings.
American depositary receipts of Elan -- which trade on both the New York and Irish stock exchanges -- rose 1.82 percent to $10.65 in Wednesday’s premarket trading. Shares of Biogen rose 5.28 percent to $165.67.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch