Biogen Idec To Buy Elan’s Stake In MS Drug Tysabri For $3.2 Billion
By Moran Zhang | February 7, 2013 1:08 AM EST
Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ:BIIB) has agreed to make an upfront payment of $3.2 billion and later pay royalties to acquire sole ownership of the multiple sclerosis drug Tysabri from its Irish partner Elan Corp. PLC (NYSE:ELN), which owns 50 percent of the world's second-biggest MS drug.
Tysabri, which many doctors and patients view as one of the most effective therapies now on the market in treating MS, brought in $1.1 billion in sales for Biogen last year. That’s second only to its lead MS drug Avonex, which generated revenue of $2.9 billion in 2012, according to company filings.
Biogen said it will use its existing cash reserves to make the $3.25 billion payment. Future contingent payments will equal 12 percent of global net sales of Tysabri for the first 12 months. After that, Biogen will continue to make contingent payments of 18 percent on annual global net sales of Tysabri up to $2 billion and 25 percent on annual global net sales that exceed $2 billion.
Biogen expects the deal to add between 20 cents to 30 cents to its per-share earnings for the year, and 50 cents to 60 cents to its adjusted per-share earnings.
American depositary receipts of Elan -- which trade on both the New York and Irish stock exchanges -- rose 1.82 percent to $10.65 in Wednesday’s premarket trading. Shares of Biogen rose 5.28 percent to $165.67.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- ‘Blue Bloods' Season 5 Spoilers: Episode 5 'Loose Lips' Airs On Oct. 24, 2014, Henry Gets The Spotlight As The Reagan Who Talks Too Much And Frank Will Pay For It [WATCH VIDEO]
- Serena Williams Defeats Ana Ivanovic In WTA Finals Open
- Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Andy Murray Wants Mother Judy Murray To “Raise Her Game”
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Bare Back In Daring Top For Day Out With Kanye West
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage