Biogen Idec To Buy Elan’s Stake In MS Drug Tysabri For $3.2 Billion
By Moran Zhang | February 7, 2013 1:08 AM EST
Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ:BIIB) has agreed to make an upfront payment of $3.2 billion and later pay royalties to acquire sole ownership of the multiple sclerosis drug Tysabri from its Irish partner Elan Corp. PLC (NYSE:ELN), which owns 50 percent of the world's second-biggest MS drug.
Tysabri, which many doctors and patients view as one of the most effective therapies now on the market in treating MS, brought in $1.1 billion in sales for Biogen last year. That’s second only to its lead MS drug Avonex, which generated revenue of $2.9 billion in 2012, according to company filings.
Biogen said it will use its existing cash reserves to make the $3.25 billion payment. Future contingent payments will equal 12 percent of global net sales of Tysabri for the first 12 months. After that, Biogen will continue to make contingent payments of 18 percent on annual global net sales of Tysabri up to $2 billion and 25 percent on annual global net sales that exceed $2 billion.
Biogen expects the deal to add between 20 cents to 30 cents to its per-share earnings for the year, and 50 cents to 60 cents to its adjusted per-share earnings.
American depositary receipts of Elan -- which trade on both the New York and Irish stock exchanges -- rose 1.82 percent to $10.65 in Wednesday’s premarket trading. Shares of Biogen rose 5.28 percent to $165.67.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Top 3 Nail Art Designs For Halloween 2014
- Liverpool FC Injury News: Reds Striker Sturridge Still Out For Newcastle United Clash, Says Rodgers
- Top 3 Halloween 2014 Makeup Looks To Try
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles