Ashley Cole: Chat with Arsenal Legend Spurred My Career
By Vishnuprasad S | February 7, 2013 12:26 AM EST
England and Chelsea defender Ashley Cole claims a chat with Arsenal legend David Rocastle fuelled his ambition to become a Three Lions international.
The 32-year-old is set to become the seventh player to earn 100 senior international caps in the history of English football, when Roy Hodgson's side face Brazil at Wembley this evening. And the Arsenal academy product has revealed it was a talk with his boyhood hero Rocastle, during his time in north London, which inspired him.
"I never thought a little boy from the East End would get a chance to represent my country. I am proud, privileged and overwhelmed by how many times I have done it. When I retire I will look back and think I achieved something," Cole told Sky Sports.
"I supported Arsenal at the time and he was someone I wanted to be like. After he spoke to me for those five minutes, it was all I wanted to be. Now I look back and think what a great career I have had but I will never forget speaking to him," the England star stressed.
Not Concerned by Baines Competition
Cole also insisted he is not concerned about Everton wing-back Leighton Baines taking his spot in the England team in the near future. Many pundits and supporters feel the time has come for the Toffees star to replace the Chelsea veteran in the Three Lions line-up and Cole says he would have no issues, if and when that happens.
"It is not just about me or Leighton but about the team. If he is playing well and plays in front of me, it is going to benefit the team. It is not as if I am going to start moaning or saying I should be playing. We are a big squad. We are all great players. If there comes a time, and there will, when I am not first-choice left-back, it won't be a problem," the Express quoted Cole as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories