Ashley Cole: Chat with Arsenal Legend Spurred My Career
By Vishnuprasad S | February 7, 2013 12:26 AM EST
England and Chelsea defender Ashley Cole claims a chat with Arsenal legend David Rocastle fuelled his ambition to become a Three Lions international.
The 32-year-old is set to become the seventh player to earn 100 senior international caps in the history of English football, when Roy Hodgson's side face Brazil at Wembley this evening. And the Arsenal academy product has revealed it was a talk with his boyhood hero Rocastle, during his time in north London, which inspired him.
"I never thought a little boy from the East End would get a chance to represent my country. I am proud, privileged and overwhelmed by how many times I have done it. When I retire I will look back and think I achieved something," Cole told Sky Sports.
"I supported Arsenal at the time and he was someone I wanted to be like. After he spoke to me for those five minutes, it was all I wanted to be. Now I look back and think what a great career I have had but I will never forget speaking to him," the England star stressed.
Not Concerned by Baines Competition
Cole also insisted he is not concerned about Everton wing-back Leighton Baines taking his spot in the England team in the near future. Many pundits and supporters feel the time has come for the Toffees star to replace the Chelsea veteran in the Three Lions line-up and Cole says he would have no issues, if and when that happens.
"It is not just about me or Leighton but about the team. If he is playing well and plays in front of me, it is going to benefit the team. It is not as if I am going to start moaning or saying I should be playing. We are a big squad. We are all great players. If there comes a time, and there will, when I am not first-choice left-back, it won't be a problem," the Express quoted Cole as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June