Manchester Mother Finds Blood-Covered Heroin Needle in Tesco Bread
By drishya Nair | February 6, 2013 11:15 PM EST
A Manchester woman was left "alarmed and distressed" after finding a heroin addict's blood-covered needle in a packet of bread.
The woman was making a sandwich for her 10-year-old child and had taken two slices of bread when she discovered the needle in the packet she bought from a Tesco Express in Pendleton, Manchester Magistrates' Court heard.
After carrying out a DNA test as part of their investigation, police traced the blood sample to 61-year-old David Rodgers, who admitted to shoving the needle into the packet while visiting the store with his wife.
Rodgers pushed the needle into the packet in a desperate attempt to hide it from his wife, as he did not want her to know that he was using heroine again.
Rodgers, a grandfather, pleaded guilty to contaminating the loaf with intent to cause public alarm yesterday. He was warned of a jail sentence and the case has been adjourned for pre-sentence reports.
"It's hard to believe what I did, being a father and granddad," Rodgers told police, while accepting that he could have thrown the needle elsewhere.
Dominic Geelan, prosecuting, says Rodgers did not seem to have any grudge against Tesco and he had kept the needle in his pocket for two days before pushing it into the bread packet.
"The only reason he could think of was that he didn't want his wife to know he was using heroin again," Geelan added.
"We have been working closely with the police throughout their investigation and on behalf of our customers are pleased that this has been resolved," a spokesman for Tesco was quoted as saying by Daily Mail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Julie Bishop to Attend UN Climate Summit; Australia Pressured to Announce 'Bolder' Target
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date