Manchester Mother Finds Blood-Covered Heroin Needle in Tesco Bread
By drishya Nair | February 6, 2013 11:15 PM EST
A Manchester woman was left "alarmed and distressed" after finding a heroin addict's blood-covered needle in a packet of bread.
The woman was making a sandwich for her 10-year-old child and had taken two slices of bread when she discovered the needle in the packet she bought from a Tesco Express in Pendleton, Manchester Magistrates' Court heard.
After carrying out a DNA test as part of their investigation, police traced the blood sample to 61-year-old David Rodgers, who admitted to shoving the needle into the packet while visiting the store with his wife.
Rodgers pushed the needle into the packet in a desperate attempt to hide it from his wife, as he did not want her to know that he was using heroine again.
Rodgers, a grandfather, pleaded guilty to contaminating the loaf with intent to cause public alarm yesterday. He was warned of a jail sentence and the case has been adjourned for pre-sentence reports.
"It's hard to believe what I did, being a father and granddad," Rodgers told police, while accepting that he could have thrown the needle elsewhere.
Dominic Geelan, prosecuting, says Rodgers did not seem to have any grudge against Tesco and he had kept the needle in his pocket for two days before pushing it into the bread packet.
"The only reason he could think of was that he didn't want his wife to know he was using heroin again," Geelan added.
"We have been working closely with the police throughout their investigation and on behalf of our customers are pleased that this has been resolved," a spokesman for Tesco was quoted as saying by Daily Mail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft