Manchester Mother Finds Blood-Covered Heroin Needle in Tesco Bread
By drishya Nair | February 6, 2013 11:15 PM EST
A Manchester woman was left "alarmed and distressed" after finding a heroin addict's blood-covered needle in a packet of bread.
The woman was making a sandwich for her 10-year-old child and had taken two slices of bread when she discovered the needle in the packet she bought from a Tesco Express in Pendleton, Manchester Magistrates' Court heard.
After carrying out a DNA test as part of their investigation, police traced the blood sample to 61-year-old David Rodgers, who admitted to shoving the needle into the packet while visiting the store with his wife.
Rodgers pushed the needle into the packet in a desperate attempt to hide it from his wife, as he did not want her to know that he was using heroine again.
Rodgers, a grandfather, pleaded guilty to contaminating the loaf with intent to cause public alarm yesterday. He was warned of a jail sentence and the case has been adjourned for pre-sentence reports.
"It's hard to believe what I did, being a father and granddad," Rodgers told police, while accepting that he could have thrown the needle elsewhere.
Dominic Geelan, prosecuting, says Rodgers did not seem to have any grudge against Tesco and he had kept the needle in his pocket for two days before pushing it into the bread packet.
"The only reason he could think of was that he didn't want his wife to know he was using heroin again," Geelan added.
"We have been working closely with the police throughout their investigation and on behalf of our customers are pleased that this has been resolved," a spokesman for Tesco was quoted as saying by Daily Mail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS