Future TeamGB Olympic Star Chloe Waddell Dies Aged 16
By Dominic Gover | February 6, 2013 10:56 PM EST
A promising young swimmer tipped for the next Olympic Games in Rio has died in her bed aged 16.
Chloe Waddell died at home in Timperley, Greater Manchester, only hours after collecting an award for swimming and then attending a party last weekend.
Desperate efforts by Chloe's parents to revive her with the aid of 999 operators failed, after they discovered her lying unconscious on Saturday morning.
It is believed she suffered a cardiac arrest.
Chloe's distraught family said they were "very proud of her" for her achievements in the pool and in school.
The teenager turned 16 just weeks ago and had spurned a birthday celebration to focus on her swimming.
Mother Fiona Waddell told the Manchester Evening News of the family's shock at her sudden death.
"We are devastated but we have got support from friends and family and that's doing a lot to help," she said.
"She had been marked out for being a gifted swimmer who competed for her country.
"She worked incredibly hard. She loved swimming, she was very focused on it and she wanted to go as far as she could. She was also bright academically, everything she did she gave 100 per cent. We are very proud of her.
"She gave up going on holiday with her friend to compete, she was so committed, so dedicated, she worked everything around her swimming."
Hours before she died, Waddell collected an "outstanding Achievement" award for her efforts at the Swim Trafford and Altrincham swimming club.
Afterwards, she went to a friend's house to celebrate at a party before her parents picked her up and drove her home.
At the time of her death Chloe was the regional 800m freestyle champion. She also competed at the National and British Championships in various events.
A police spokesman said: "At about 8.30am on February 3 2013, police were called by the ambulance service who had attended a house on Bryons Drive in Timperley.
"Paramedics were there to treat a 16-year-old girl who had gone into cardiac arrest.
"She was taken to hospital but sadly died."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown