Future TeamGB Olympic Star Chloe Waddell Dies Aged 16
By Dominic Gover | February 6, 2013 10:56 PM EST
A promising young swimmer tipped for the next Olympic Games in Rio has died in her bed aged 16.
Chloe Waddell died at home in Timperley, Greater Manchester, only hours after collecting an award for swimming and then attending a party last weekend.
Desperate efforts by Chloe's parents to revive her with the aid of 999 operators failed, after they discovered her lying unconscious on Saturday morning.
It is believed she suffered a cardiac arrest.
Chloe's distraught family said they were "very proud of her" for her achievements in the pool and in school.
The teenager turned 16 just weeks ago and had spurned a birthday celebration to focus on her swimming.
Mother Fiona Waddell told the Manchester Evening News of the family's shock at her sudden death.
"We are devastated but we have got support from friends and family and that's doing a lot to help," she said.
"She had been marked out for being a gifted swimmer who competed for her country.
"She worked incredibly hard. She loved swimming, she was very focused on it and she wanted to go as far as she could. She was also bright academically, everything she did she gave 100 per cent. We are very proud of her.
"She gave up going on holiday with her friend to compete, she was so committed, so dedicated, she worked everything around her swimming."
Hours before she died, Waddell collected an "outstanding Achievement" award for her efforts at the Swim Trafford and Altrincham swimming club.
Afterwards, she went to a friend's house to celebrate at a party before her parents picked her up and drove her home.
At the time of her death Chloe was the regional 800m freestyle champion. She also competed at the National and British Championships in various events.
A police spokesman said: "At about 8.30am on February 3 2013, police were called by the ambulance service who had attended a house on Bryons Drive in Timperley.
"Paramedics were there to treat a 16-year-old girl who had gone into cardiac arrest.
"She was taken to hospital but sadly died."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports