Future TeamGB Olympic Star Chloe Waddell Dies Aged 16
By Dominic Gover | February 6, 2013 10:56 PM EST
A promising young swimmer tipped for the next Olympic Games in Rio has died in her bed aged 16.
Chloe Waddell died at home in Timperley, Greater Manchester, only hours after collecting an award for swimming and then attending a party last weekend.
Desperate efforts by Chloe's parents to revive her with the aid of 999 operators failed, after they discovered her lying unconscious on Saturday morning.
It is believed she suffered a cardiac arrest.
Chloe's distraught family said they were "very proud of her" for her achievements in the pool and in school.
The teenager turned 16 just weeks ago and had spurned a birthday celebration to focus on her swimming.
Mother Fiona Waddell told the Manchester Evening News of the family's shock at her sudden death.
"We are devastated but we have got support from friends and family and that's doing a lot to help," she said.
"She had been marked out for being a gifted swimmer who competed for her country.
"She worked incredibly hard. She loved swimming, she was very focused on it and she wanted to go as far as she could. She was also bright academically, everything she did she gave 100 per cent. We are very proud of her.
"She gave up going on holiday with her friend to compete, she was so committed, so dedicated, she worked everything around her swimming."
Hours before she died, Waddell collected an "outstanding Achievement" award for her efforts at the Swim Trafford and Altrincham swimming club.
Afterwards, she went to a friend's house to celebrate at a party before her parents picked her up and drove her home.
At the time of her death Chloe was the regional 800m freestyle champion. She also competed at the National and British Championships in various events.
A police spokesman said: "At about 8.30am on February 3 2013, police were called by the ambulance service who had attended a house on Bryons Drive in Timperley.
"Paramedics were there to treat a 16-year-old girl who had gone into cardiac arrest.
"She was taken to hospital but sadly died."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date