Future TeamGB Olympic Star Chloe Waddell Dies Aged 16
By Dominic Gover | February 6, 2013 10:56 PM EST
A promising young swimmer tipped for the next Olympic Games in Rio has died in her bed aged 16.
Chloe Waddell died at home in Timperley, Greater Manchester, only hours after collecting an award for swimming and then attending a party last weekend.
Desperate efforts by Chloe's parents to revive her with the aid of 999 operators failed, after they discovered her lying unconscious on Saturday morning.
It is believed she suffered a cardiac arrest.
Chloe's distraught family said they were "very proud of her" for her achievements in the pool and in school.
The teenager turned 16 just weeks ago and had spurned a birthday celebration to focus on her swimming.
Mother Fiona Waddell told the Manchester Evening News of the family's shock at her sudden death.
"We are devastated but we have got support from friends and family and that's doing a lot to help," she said.
"She had been marked out for being a gifted swimmer who competed for her country.
"She worked incredibly hard. She loved swimming, she was very focused on it and she wanted to go as far as she could. She was also bright academically, everything she did she gave 100 per cent. We are very proud of her.
"She gave up going on holiday with her friend to compete, she was so committed, so dedicated, she worked everything around her swimming."
Hours before she died, Waddell collected an "outstanding Achievement" award for her efforts at the Swim Trafford and Altrincham swimming club.
Afterwards, she went to a friend's house to celebrate at a party before her parents picked her up and drove her home.
At the time of her death Chloe was the regional 800m freestyle champion. She also competed at the National and British Championships in various events.
A police spokesman said: "At about 8.30am on February 3 2013, police were called by the ambulance service who had attended a house on Bryons Drive in Timperley.
"Paramedics were there to treat a 16-year-old girl who had gone into cardiac arrest.
"She was taken to hospital but sadly died."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown