Future TeamGB Olympic Star Chloe Waddell Dies Aged 16
By Dominic Gover | February 6, 2013 10:56 PM EST
A promising young swimmer tipped for the next Olympic Games in Rio has died in her bed aged 16.
Chloe Waddell died at home in Timperley, Greater Manchester, only hours after collecting an award for swimming and then attending a party last weekend.
Desperate efforts by Chloe's parents to revive her with the aid of 999 operators failed, after they discovered her lying unconscious on Saturday morning.
It is believed she suffered a cardiac arrest.
Chloe's distraught family said they were "very proud of her" for her achievements in the pool and in school.
The teenager turned 16 just weeks ago and had spurned a birthday celebration to focus on her swimming.
Mother Fiona Waddell told the Manchester Evening News of the family's shock at her sudden death.
"We are devastated but we have got support from friends and family and that's doing a lot to help," she said.
"She had been marked out for being a gifted swimmer who competed for her country.
"She worked incredibly hard. She loved swimming, she was very focused on it and she wanted to go as far as she could. She was also bright academically, everything she did she gave 100 per cent. We are very proud of her.
"She gave up going on holiday with her friend to compete, she was so committed, so dedicated, she worked everything around her swimming."
Hours before she died, Waddell collected an "outstanding Achievement" award for her efforts at the Swim Trafford and Altrincham swimming club.
Afterwards, she went to a friend's house to celebrate at a party before her parents picked her up and drove her home.
At the time of her death Chloe was the regional 800m freestyle champion. She also competed at the National and British Championships in various events.
A police spokesman said: "At about 8.30am on February 3 2013, police were called by the ambulance service who had attended a house on Bryons Drive in Timperley.
"Paramedics were there to treat a 16-year-old girl who had gone into cardiac arrest.
"She was taken to hospital but sadly died."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around