Optus subscribers in Australia have reportedly received the latest XXBMA5 Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) official firmware for Galaxy S3 I9305 via Over-The-Air (OTA) update. Optus users who missed the opportunity can now manually download the firmware over Samsung KIES or install the same using our step-by-step guide given below.
NOTE: If Samsung KIES fails to recognise your device or if the firmware is not shown in KIES, then you can follow the manual installation method provided in this guide. The firmware reportedly brings several useful features and security enhancements over its previous release.
Android 4.1.2 XXBMA5 Official Firmware Details:
Regions Supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
Key Points to Note
- XXBMA5 official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S3 I9305 variant only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on your phone and ensure that the device has at least 80 percent battery charge.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S3 on the computer (download Galaxy S3 I9305 USB drivers).
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- Access to custom ROMs (CM10, Paranoid Android or AOKP) and custom recovery tools (ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery) will be lost after installing the official firmware, as custom versions will be replaced by their stock counterparts.
- The device is no longer rooted after installing the official firmware. You need to root the phone again in order to regain full system access, and be able to install third-party root-based apps, custom ROMs and system tweaks on it.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the XXBMA5 official firmware. Users should proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9305 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with XXBMA5 Official Firmware
1. Extract XXBMA5 official firmware zip file that you downloaded earlier to get a .tar file and a few other files.
2. Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with some other files.
3. Switch off your smartphone and wait for vibration
(about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Place Galaxy S3 I9305 in Download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button together until Samsung Galaxy logo appears on screen. Wait for a few seconds until the phone enters Download mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (check Step 2) as an Administrator, since Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process.
6. Connect your phone to the computer with original USB cable. A message reading "Added!!" will appear in Odin's message box at the bottom-left on screen. If the message fails to appear, then just try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of computer). If all else fails, then just reinstall the USB drivers for the phone on computer. When the successful "Added!!" message pops-up in Odin, proceed to the next step. At this point, the ID: COM port with the corresponding number turns Yellow if you successfully added the device.
7. Select the following files from I9305XXBMA5 folder [check Step 1] in Odin using the respective buttons:
- Click the PDA Button, and choose the .tar file named as 'Code'.
- Tap the Phone Button, and choose file named as 'Modem' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Hit the CSC Button, and choose file named as 'CSC' (ignore if such file is missing)
- Tap the PIT Button, and choose the .pit file. Perform the step only if you got the .pit file while extracting firmware in step 1 (above), otherwise ignore it.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition checkbox should be selected only if you are using a .pit file in previous step.
9. Verify that everything in Step 7 & Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
10. Once the firmware flashing completes, your smartphone will reboot automatically and a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of OdinNow, unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Galaxy S3 I9305 is now running official Android 4.1.2 I9305XXBMA5 OTA firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware update.
NOTE: If the phone is stuck at booting animation after Step 10 then go to Recovery mode (press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset before tapping Reboot System Now function. In Recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate and Power key to select an option.
[Source: Android JInn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: