Evasi0n iOS 6 Untethered Jailbreak: How to Manually Install Weather App Bug-Fix on iPhone [Tutorial]
By Vinod Yalburgi | February 6, 2013 8:16 PM EST
The recently released evasi0n untethered jailbreak reportedly broke a few download records, surpassing 800,000 downloads within six hours of its release. It garnered a whopping total of 1.7 million device downloads by Tuesday, but also broke a few minor features in iOS 6 along the way - most noticeably the native Weather app on the iPhone and iPod touch.
According to the jailbreak developers, evasi0n's exploit inadvertently corrupted an important plist settings file for system apps like Weather, Siri, and the App Store. It is ascertained that the jailbreak process messes up with "com.apple.mobile.installation.plist". With due credit to leading iOS researcher and hacker pod2g, power users can now employ an easy fix to replace the broken plist files instantly.
Pod2g and planetbeing have reportedly uploaded an updated package on Cydia to fix corrupted plist files and certain slow boot up sequence or boot loop issues. Nevertheless, tech savvy users can fix the Weather app issue by copying pod2g's script to Mobile Terminal.
- Make sure that Mobile Terminal or iFunBox (download here) is installed on your iPhone. Else login directly through SSH on your device.
- Ensure the device is connected to the internet and keep its browser open to access the link to this tutorial (else you will have to manually type out the whole thing, which is both daunting and error-prone).
How to Manually Install Weather App Bug-Fix Using Mobile Terminal
Step 1: Copy the following script from your iPhone browser:
chmod -x /usr/libexec/mobile_installation_proxy
killall -9 mobile_installation_proxy
rm /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.plist /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-045.csstore
launchctl stop com.apple.mobile.installd
launchctl start com.apple.mobile.installd
while [ ! -f /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.plist ];
while [ ! -f /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-045.csstore ];
chmod +x /usr/libexec/mobile_installation_proxy
Step 2: In order to paste the script into Mobile Terminal, there is a small workaround (as the script cannot be pasted directly):
- Open Mobile Terminal, tap the information button and enter shortcut menu.
- Now, paste the script into the new shortcut and ensure that the script is entered correctly (as the copy tool may be buggy at times) and click "Done" button at the top.
Step 3: Launch Mobile Terminal and login as root. Enter the Command as "login root" and default password as "alpine" (without quotes).
Step 4: Navigate to the shortcut menu on the left and choose the new shortcut you just created.
Step 5: Leave the iPhone alone for some time and allow the script to finish processing. Once the script command is executed, hit "return" and the device should reboot automatically.
After the device completes a successful reboot, launch the Weather app and check if the issue is fixed. Note that the fix may also resolve any issues with Siri and the App Store.
UPDATE: Evad3rs have released a new update to fix Weather app crash bug and Long Reboot issue.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report