Goalkeeper Accused of Matchfix: Anfield Game 'Was Biggest of My Career'
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 6, 2013 7:09 PM EST
The Montenegrin goalkeeper accused of fixing a 2009 Champions League tie against Liverpool has said the match at Anfield was "the biggest of my career" and there is no truth in the allegations against him.
The match between Liverpool and Hungarian side Debrecen is currently being investigated by Europol after claims that goalkeeper Vukasin Poleksic agreed before the match to concede three goals.
In the event, Liverpool only managed to score one goal, and Poleksic made a string of important saves.
Commenting on the recent allegations, Poleksic told the Daily Mail: "Anyone who watched the match would know that what people are saying is bull. We lost 1-0 at Liverpool and I played a good game.
"I made lots of saves: a one-on-one against Albert Riera, one from Fernando Torres, one from Steven Gerrard. I remember it all. How can anyone say I threw the game
"I was just delighted to be playing at Anfield. It was the biggest match of my career. Liverpool have always been my favourite club. I love them and can't believe what people have said about me. But I know I am clean. I just worry that people will believe what is being said."
Dirk Kuyt was Liverpool's goal scorer on the night, converting one of seven shots on target for the Merseyside club. Poleksic parried a Fernando Torres drive into the path of the Dutchman, which resulted in the goal.
This is not the first time Poleksic has had to contend with match-fixing allegations. Less than a month after the Liverpool tie, Debrecen were defeated 4-3 by Fiorentina in another Champions League group game. The result was shrouded in controversy, with Poleksic receiving a two-year ban by Uefa for failing to report an approach by match-fixers.
The Montenegro international confirmed the incident and lamented his failure to contact the authorities.
"They called me a week or 10 days before the game and it made it difficult for me to play," he said. "I don't know who the people were who called me. I told them, 'I don't do this, I'd never do this, please don't call me.' I don't know where they were from but I made the mistake of not saying anything."
Poleksic stated the two years he spent on the sidelines have been amongst the toughest in his career but claims his performance was not altered in any way.
"I didn't play for two years because of this but it's my fault because I didn't report it," he said. "But I didn't fix anything. The club have been behind me the whole time, they know that I have done nothing wrong. Nobody understands what I've been through. It's been very difficult for my family too and I couldn't have got through this without them."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date