BlackBerry Smartphone's Online Buzz Sees No Bounds
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 6, 2013 6:19 PM EST
The Internet was totally abuzz with tweets and updates Wednesday as the company unveiled its new smartphone.
Salesforce.com provides the statistics that there were more than 111,000 online mentions of the BlackBerry 10 smartphone just hours after BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins unveiled the smartphone.
About 93 percent of the conversation was on Twitter, where hashtags related to BlackBerry and references were trending throughout the day in Canada. The BlackBerry 10 smartphone buzz seems to have uplifted the company's profile which hopes to regain its share in the smartphone market.
The new device triggered a mixture of reactions. Several users shared their excitement and some congratulated the company for introducing an attractive device.
"I'm sick of waiting, the more info I get the more I can't wait," one user tweeted.
"I'm having an iPhone mid-life crisis. I'm impressed by the BB10," wrote another.
Facebook users were slow to react on the launch and accounted for only two percent of online buzz globally. The company's Facebook fan page for its new device was unable to generate even 150 supporters by the evening of it launch.
Online buzz may be a sign of one's interest but the true impact of the new product can be seen on its sales figure as one twitter user says, "Everybody will tweet about #BB10, let's see how many of you actually buy it."
Canada will be the first to get the device ahead of other markets, including the United States. Other countries will receive the touch screen version Feb 10, while the U.S.'s launch date is set for sometime in March.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef