Solomon Islands Earthquake Update: Casualties Feared Rising as Tsunami Hits Coastal Villages
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 6, 2013 5:29 PM EST
At least three villages in the Solomon Islands are believed to have experienced damages and casualties brought by a 0.9m high tsunami that was triggered by an 8.0 magnitude undersea earthquake that struck the islands earlier in the day on Wednesday.
John Lansley, Solomon Islands Police Commissioner, was quoted by the ABC that the tsunami, expected by the public to occur anytime soon after the quake struck, has affected villages on Santa Cruz islands and that some people were missing.
"We understand a surge wave did affect three or four villages," Mr Lansley said.
"We have some people missing and there is believe to be a few casualties. I'm hoping they will be a minimal number."
Although people at the islands were able to somehow evacuate to higher grounds and stash their properties safely, time was still short on their side when the expected tsunami struck.
As of presstime, the exact possible damages as well as number of missing people have yet to be determined. Authorities and emergency workers such as the Australian-led Regional Assistance Mission to Solomon Islands (RAMSI) have yet to fly into the tsunami-hit islands tomorrow Thursday to get a better grip of the scene.
It was in 2007 when the Solomons last experienced a devastating tsunami following an 8.1 magnitude quake. It destroyed more than 13 villages, killed 50 people and left dozens.
The Solomons has more than 200 islands with a current population placed at about 552,000 people.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales