LeBron James: How Much Is He Worth?
By Czarina Malleta | February 6, 2013 2:56 PM EST
The numbers states that LeBron James is the most underpaid player in the NBA. Quite shocking news, considering that he is one of the top players in the league.
If it were based on NBA alone, LeBron James is getting less than what he deserves. The Miami Heat star will only make $17.5 million this season.
According to Oklahoma University economist Kevin Grier, with $17.5 million in his pocket, LeBron is definitely underpaid. Based on his calculations and several other economists' opinions, LeBron should be making roughly $40 million.
LeBron actually admits it himself that he is underpaid. During one of his interviews with ESPN's Brian Windhorst, the basketball player said that he would make so much more if he were a baseball player.
"If this was baseball, it'd be up, I mean way up there," were LeBron's exact words.
But while he realize that he is underpaid in the career he has chosen, his popularity makes things a whole lot different. It is safe to say that LeBron compensates enough with his many endorsement contracts.
In fact, according to Forbes, LeBron is the world's fourth highest paid athlete with a cumulative revenue of $40 million. He currently has contracts with Nike, McDonald's, Sprite, Powerade and Bubblicious. And while he was paid $90m million for a seven-year endorsement contract with Nike, USA Today said that the contract turned out to be a bargain.
If we were to add up his numbers ($15.6 million in endorsement, $1 million in merchandise, $27 million on television rights, $7.1 million in ticket sales and roughly $15 million in salary for now), then LeBron's worth will rank up around $65.7 million per season.
So don't feel sorry for the Miami Heat player if he takes home less than what others are making, say for instance, Kobe Bryant who makes $27 million per season. The figures guarantee that there is no loss here for LeBron.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28