Tsunami Warning Issued In South Pacific After 8.0 Earthquake Strikes Off Solomon Islands
By Maria Vultaggio | February 6, 2013 1:50 PM EST
A powerful 8.0 magnitude earthquake struck off the Solomon Islands on Wednesday in the western Pacific Ocean and may be generating a “potentially destructive” tsunami, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
It occurred at 3:12 p.m. on Wednesday Hawaii time, KHON reported.
The quake occurred at a depth nearly 3.6 miles (5.8 km) close to the Santa Cruz Islands, which are part of the Solomon Islands nation, according to the USGS.
The epicenter of the quake occurred 347 km east of Kira Kira in the Solomons, Reuters added.
As a result, a tsunami warning has been issued by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre, the BBC said, for the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Kosrae, Fiji, Kiribati, and Wallis and Futuna Islands. A tsunami watch is being issued for Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia.
But according to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, that nation is not at risk from a tsunami.
Reuters added that Hawaii was also issued a tsunami warning.
The Solomon Island make up part of the Ring of Fire, the BBC noted. It is a zone of volcanic arcs and oceanic trenches that encircle the Pacific basin.
After the 8.0 earthquake occurred, there have been numerous aftershocks, the largest of which was measured at a 6.4 magnitude.
Before the powerful 8.0 quake, the region had reportedly been experiencing mini quakes in recent days.
"There was no immediate report of damages or any accidents," George Herming, a spokesman for the prime minister of the Solomon Islands, told the Associated Press. "We've been hoping that reports will come in from the responsible authorities ... very soon."
As news began to break, concerned Twitter users took to the social media site:
@RyanWesleySmith wrote, “#PrayForSPIslands as the Soloman Islands have just suffered an 8.0 earthquake sending a possible tsunami to the South Pacific Islands. RT!”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report