China Varicose Vein Treatment in Liaoning Spreads Hepatitis C Infection
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 6, 2013 1:45 PM EST
Instead of getting relief from painful varicose veins, dozens of people in Liaoning, a province of China, are now confined in hospitals after getting contaminated with the infectious hepatitis C.
Chinese local media reported that a total of 120 patients underwent varicose vein treatment at an undisclosed privately-run clinic in Liaoning province, where after screening, 95 people came out possibly infected with hepatitis C.
Varicose veins are defined as twisted, enlarged veins near the surface of the skin. They most commonly develop in the legs and ankles.
The investigation on the clinic came about after local authorities received a tip-off on Jan. 28, the Xinhua News Agency reported.
Local health authorities added they have detained a doctor, named Xue, who works as a surgeon at the clinic. He was detained on Feb. 2 and is currently being investigated, according to the city's health bureau. The clinic has likewise been ordered to close pending the investigation.
Primarily spread through blood-to-blood contact, Hepatitis C is a viral disease that leads to swelling or inflammation of the liver.
Most people who were recently infected with hepatitis C do not have symptoms. About 1 in 10 have yellowing of the skin, commonly known as jaundice, that gets better.
Of people who get infected with hepatitis C, most develop a long-term chronic infection. Usually there are no symptoms. If the infection has been present for many years, the liver may be permanently scarred. This is called cirrhosis. In many cases, there may be no symptoms of the disease until cirrhosis has developed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine