China Varicose Vein Treatment in Liaoning Spreads Hepatitis C Infection
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 6, 2013 1:45 PM EST
Instead of getting relief from painful varicose veins, dozens of people in Liaoning, a province of China, are now confined in hospitals after getting contaminated with the infectious hepatitis C.
Chinese local media reported that a total of 120 patients underwent varicose vein treatment at an undisclosed privately-run clinic in Liaoning province, where after screening, 95 people came out possibly infected with hepatitis C.
Varicose veins are defined as twisted, enlarged veins near the surface of the skin. They most commonly develop in the legs and ankles.
The investigation on the clinic came about after local authorities received a tip-off on Jan. 28, the Xinhua News Agency reported.
Local health authorities added they have detained a doctor, named Xue, who works as a surgeon at the clinic. He was detained on Feb. 2 and is currently being investigated, according to the city's health bureau. The clinic has likewise been ordered to close pending the investigation.
Primarily spread through blood-to-blood contact, Hepatitis C is a viral disease that leads to swelling or inflammation of the liver.
Most people who were recently infected with hepatitis C do not have symptoms. About 1 in 10 have yellowing of the skin, commonly known as jaundice, that gets better.
Of people who get infected with hepatitis C, most develop a long-term chronic infection. Usually there are no symptoms. If the infection has been present for many years, the liver may be permanently scarred. This is called cirrhosis. In many cases, there may be no symptoms of the disease until cirrhosis has developed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan