China Varicose Vein Treatment in Liaoning Spreads Hepatitis C Infection
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 6, 2013 1:45 PM EST
Instead of getting relief from painful varicose veins, dozens of people in Liaoning, a province of China, are now confined in hospitals after getting contaminated with the infectious hepatitis C.
Chinese local media reported that a total of 120 patients underwent varicose vein treatment at an undisclosed privately-run clinic in Liaoning province, where after screening, 95 people came out possibly infected with hepatitis C.
Varicose veins are defined as twisted, enlarged veins near the surface of the skin. They most commonly develop in the legs and ankles.
The investigation on the clinic came about after local authorities received a tip-off on Jan. 28, the Xinhua News Agency reported.
Local health authorities added they have detained a doctor, named Xue, who works as a surgeon at the clinic. He was detained on Feb. 2 and is currently being investigated, according to the city's health bureau. The clinic has likewise been ordered to close pending the investigation.
Primarily spread through blood-to-blood contact, Hepatitis C is a viral disease that leads to swelling or inflammation of the liver.
Most people who were recently infected with hepatitis C do not have symptoms. About 1 in 10 have yellowing of the skin, commonly known as jaundice, that gets better.
Of people who get infected with hepatitis C, most develop a long-term chronic infection. Usually there are no symptoms. If the infection has been present for many years, the liver may be permanently scarred. This is called cirrhosis. In many cases, there may be no symptoms of the disease until cirrhosis has developed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Chicago Marathon Brings Over $253 Million in Business
- New Zealand's High Growth Rate Predicted To Fall When Christchurch Rebuild Halts
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza