China Varicose Vein Treatment in Liaoning Spreads Hepatitis C Infection
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 6, 2013 1:45 PM EST
Instead of getting relief from painful varicose veins, dozens of people in Liaoning, a province of China, are now confined in hospitals after getting contaminated with the infectious hepatitis C.
Chinese local media reported that a total of 120 patients underwent varicose vein treatment at an undisclosed privately-run clinic in Liaoning province, where after screening, 95 people came out possibly infected with hepatitis C.
Varicose veins are defined as twisted, enlarged veins near the surface of the skin. They most commonly develop in the legs and ankles.
The investigation on the clinic came about after local authorities received a tip-off on Jan. 28, the Xinhua News Agency reported.
Local health authorities added they have detained a doctor, named Xue, who works as a surgeon at the clinic. He was detained on Feb. 2 and is currently being investigated, according to the city's health bureau. The clinic has likewise been ordered to close pending the investigation.
Primarily spread through blood-to-blood contact, Hepatitis C is a viral disease that leads to swelling or inflammation of the liver.
Most people who were recently infected with hepatitis C do not have symptoms. About 1 in 10 have yellowing of the skin, commonly known as jaundice, that gets better.
Of people who get infected with hepatitis C, most develop a long-term chronic infection. Usually there are no symptoms. If the infection has been present for many years, the liver may be permanently scarred. This is called cirrhosis. In many cases, there may be no symptoms of the disease until cirrhosis has developed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers