Psy to Have 5 Concerts in Australia in March; 5 Cuts in Gangnam Style Album Suffer Low Hits in YouTube
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 6, 2013 10:19 AM EST
Korean singer and YouTube sensation Psy continues to be on a roll with his Gangnam Style video hitting more than 1.2 billion hits to date in the popular video sharing site. He is also striking while the iron is hot by having a series of concerts lined up for 2013, including five in Australia in March.
However, there are questions if Psy is just a one-trick pony enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. After all, beyond the monster success that Gangnam Style continues to reap, the five other cuts from his Psy 6 (Six Rules) Part 1 album have unimpressive hits in YouTube.
Psy is scheduled to release Part 2 of the album in March 2013, but before that he would hold a one-day concert in the Philippines on Feb 19 and five concerts in Australia in March.
Psy was originally slated to hold his Manila concert on Dec 20, 2012 at the Mall of Asia, but the organisers moved the date to Feb 19 due to logistical issues. The one-night show will also feature Filipina comedy queen Ai-ai de las Alas and comic duo Jose Manalo and Wally Bayola.
Tickets for the Manila concert range in price from $13 to $220.
The dates and venues for Psy's Australia concert are as follow:
l March 2 - Doomben Racecourse, Brisbane
l March 3 - Arena Joondalup, Perth
l March 9 - Royal Randwich Racecourse, Sydney
l March 10 - Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne
l March 11 - Bonython Park, Adelaide.
In an interview with BBC in late 2012, Psy admitted that it would be difficult for him to beat his own Gangnam Style record or even duplicate it. Proof is that YouTube hits of the five other cuts in his Psy 6 (Six Rules) album, which he released on July 15, 2012, are very low or just moderate.
1. Blue Frog, featuring G. Dragon - 57,026 views
2. Passionate Goodbye, featuring Sung Su Kyung - 421,529 views
3. Year of 77, featuring LeeSsang & Kim Jin Pyo - 36,315 views
4. What Would Have Been, featuring Park Jung Hyun - 20,967 views
5. Never Say Goodbye, featuring Yoon Do Hyun - 421,694
Incidentally, Psy's cheer song for the South Korean team that competed in the 2012 London Olympics is faring better than the five other cuts from his Psy 6 album, with 13.5 million hits so far.
The question over Psy's longevity and staying power in the music industry crops up when he is compared to other music greats such as Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, the Beatles and Madonna who had several Billboard hits from the same or different albums and continue to be heard or sold years or decades after their songs were released.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop