Psy to Have 5 Concerts in Australia in March; 5 Cuts in Gangnam Style Album Suffer Low Hits in YouTube
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 6, 2013 10:19 AM EST
Korean singer and YouTube sensation Psy continues to be on a roll with his Gangnam Style video hitting more than 1.2 billion hits to date in the popular video sharing site. He is also striking while the iron is hot by having a series of concerts lined up for 2013, including five in Australia in March.
However, there are questions if Psy is just a one-trick pony enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. After all, beyond the monster success that Gangnam Style continues to reap, the five other cuts from his Psy 6 (Six Rules) Part 1 album have unimpressive hits in YouTube.
Psy is scheduled to release Part 2 of the album in March 2013, but before that he would hold a one-day concert in the Philippines on Feb 19 and five concerts in Australia in March.
Psy was originally slated to hold his Manila concert on Dec 20, 2012 at the Mall of Asia, but the organisers moved the date to Feb 19 due to logistical issues. The one-night show will also feature Filipina comedy queen Ai-ai de las Alas and comic duo Jose Manalo and Wally Bayola.
Tickets for the Manila concert range in price from $13 to $220.
The dates and venues for Psy's Australia concert are as follow:
l March 2 - Doomben Racecourse, Brisbane
l March 3 - Arena Joondalup, Perth
l March 9 - Royal Randwich Racecourse, Sydney
l March 10 - Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne
l March 11 - Bonython Park, Adelaide.
In an interview with BBC in late 2012, Psy admitted that it would be difficult for him to beat his own Gangnam Style record or even duplicate it. Proof is that YouTube hits of the five other cuts in his Psy 6 (Six Rules) album, which he released on July 15, 2012, are very low or just moderate.
1. Blue Frog, featuring G. Dragon - 57,026 views
2. Passionate Goodbye, featuring Sung Su Kyung - 421,529 views
3. Year of 77, featuring LeeSsang & Kim Jin Pyo - 36,315 views
4. What Would Have Been, featuring Park Jung Hyun - 20,967 views
5. Never Say Goodbye, featuring Yoon Do Hyun - 421,694
Incidentally, Psy's cheer song for the South Korean team that competed in the 2012 London Olympics is faring better than the five other cuts from his Psy 6 album, with 13.5 million hits so far.
The question over Psy's longevity and staying power in the music industry crops up when he is compared to other music greats such as Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, the Beatles and Madonna who had several Billboard hits from the same or different albums and continue to be heard or sold years or decades after their songs were released.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged