BlackBerry, Shipping Z10 In Canada, Posts $500M Day
By David Zielenziger | February 6, 2013 9:11 AM EST
BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY), the Canadian smartphone developer, gained another $537 million in market value Tuesday as it started shipping the new Z10 units in Canada after they were launched last week in the UK. It was the second consecutive surge for the company.
At the close, shares of the Waterloo, Ontario company formerly known as Research in Motion rose $1.03 to $16.02, valuing the company at $8.39 billion. Tuesday’s gain was nearly 7 percent, compared with Monday’s gain of 15 percent, which added $1 billion to BlackBerry’s market value.
The company benefited from a good response to the Z10, the first model of the BlackBerry 10 family, which will be joined by the Q10 at a later date.
BlackBerry also advertised on Sunday’s Super Bowl in a 30-second commercial from London-based Abbott Mead Vicker BBDO, a unit of Omnicom Group (NYSE:OMC). The ad showed miraculous things like vaporizing an out-of-control tanker truck with the tag line, “it’s easier to show you what the Z10 can’t do.”
Despite BlackBerry’s rise in value, it’s still far below that of principal U.S. rival Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL), the most valuable technology company. Its shares rose $15.55 to $457.87, valuing the Cupertino, Calif., company at $430 billion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 New Release Imminent as Apple Enters Mid-August Production with New 24-Karat Gold iPhone 6
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects