Oscars 2013: Meryl Streep, Jean Dujardin, Octavia Spencer And Christopher Plummer To Present At Academy Awards
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 6, 2013 6:22 AM EST
Four actors who were honored with Academy Awards last year, will return again at this year’s Oscars as presenters. In a press release on Tuesday the Academy announced that Meryl Streep, Jean Dujardin, Octavia Spencer And Christopher Plummer would all be presenting awards in the upcoming telecast.
"We are honored to have Meryl, Octavia, Christopher and Jean, last year's Oscar winners in each of the acting categories, return to the Oscar stage," the show’s producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron said.
Streep, one of the industry’s veterans, has been nominated 17 times and won three Academy Awards. Plummer, a two-time nominee, won last year for his performance in the film “Beginners.” Dujardin and Spencer were both first-time nominees, last year. Dujardin won best actor for his role in “The Artist,” and Spencer, best supporting actress for “The Help.”
But Dujardin and Spencer won’t be the newest additions to the Oscars: this year’s ceremony will also mark Zadan and Meron’s first time producing the show. The duo, who have produced hit films like “Harispray,” “Chicago,” and “The Bucket List” were named as this year’s producers back in August.
In an effort to streamline the long awards ceremony and also attract a younger audience, Zadan and Meron have said that they intend to trim the fat by getting rid of some of short segments.
"You start adding up those 30 seconds, and you have an accumulation of time that you can use for entertainment. So that's what we're doing. We're learning a lot about the things that we don't need in the show,” Zadan said. “The main goal is to honor the nominees and the winners. And then beside that, there's a lot of pregnant pauses that you get in the show. ... We've scooped out a lot of those pauses and created more time for performance and entertainment."
The 85th Academy Awards will be televised on Feb. 24 on ABC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery