Bulgaria Declares Hezbollah Responsible For July 2012 Bus Bombing
By Maya Shwayder | February 6, 2013 6:12 AM EST
On Tuesday the Bulgarian government announced the results of a six-month probe into the bus bombing last July in the resort town Burgas near the Black Sea that killed five Israeli tourists. The verdict, to no one’s surprise but possibly to the great consternation of some European Union leaders, is that Hezbollah was behind it.
Speaking to reporters in Sofia on Tuesday, Bulgarian Interior Minister Tezvetan Tzvetanov said, “We have established that the two [suspects] were members of the militant wing of Hezbollah. There is data showing the financing and connection between Hezbollah and the two suspects.”
He also said the two suspects held Australian and Canadian passports.
Bulgaria has previously resisted following U.S. leads and Israeli insistence that Hezbollah was responsible. Israel has also blamed Iran, who has denied any involvement.
The revelation of Hezbollah as the guilty party could be a wake=up call for some EU leaders : The U.S. has been lobbying the E.U. to classify all of Hezbollah as a terrorist organization, not just its militant wing, as the U.K. does.
In December 2012, a diplomat at the U.S. State Department hinted that the E.U. might be leaning in this direction, but since then no decisive actions have been taken.
But Dr. Matthew Levitt of the Washington Institute said that Bulgaria pointing the finger at Hezbollah, in addition to the nearly-finished trial of a Swedish-Lebanese man in connection with the bombing, "will put this issue back on the front burner."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown