John Travolta 'Sexual Assault' Masseur Fabian Zanzi Takes Case to Court
By Toyin Owoseje | February 6, 2013 4:41 AM EST
John Travolta is preparing to defend himself in court after a cruise ship masseur who accused him of sexual assault was given the green light to have his case heard.
Fabian Zanzi filed a suit against the Grease star in June 2012, alleging that Travolta touched him inappropriately aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship in 2009.
The Chilean-born worker claims that, despite his protests, Travolta then forcefully embraced him.
Zanzi said that after the "nonconsensual, inappropriate, extreme and outrageous" incident, Travolta offered to buy his silence for $12,000.
Travolta's legal team tried to prevent the case from reaching court, on the grounds that the Hollywood actor had a prior agreement with the cruise liner which stipulated that any dispute between the two parties must be settled in arbitration.
However, earlier this week a California federal judge dismissed the petition because there was no evidence Zanzi was bound by the arbitration agreement between Travolta and Royal Caribbean International.
A spokesman for Travolta previously branded the claims lubricious and baseless.
"This is another ludicrous lawsuit with inane claims. It is obvious that Mr. Zanzi and his lawyers are looking for their 15 minutes of fame," Travolta's lawyer Marty Singer said.
"The lawsuit's ridiculous claims are completely contradicted by what Mr. Zanzi told his employer back in 2009 when he was being disciplined for his own violations of company policy.
"In his handwritten report three years ago, the only physical contact he claimed occurred was allegedly touching my client's neck.
"The inappropriate conduct he alleges in his lawsuit is absent from his written report he submitted at the time. That glaring omission speaks volumes."
Zanzi is seeking an unspecified amount in punitive damages.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- No Charges Against 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl Who Accidentally Shoots to Death Arizona Gun Instructor (VIDEO)
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Judge Redfoo Hurt After Attacker Threw Glass At Him in Sydney Hotel
- Schapelle Corby’s Boyfriend Ben Panangian Arrested on Drug Charges
- Court Rejects Corinna Schumacher’s Lawsuit Against German Media That Published Her Photos En Route To Michael Schumacher’s Hospital
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0