John Travolta 'Sexual Assault' Masseur Fabian Zanzi Takes Case to Court
By Toyin Owoseje | February 6, 2013 4:41 AM EST
John Travolta is preparing to defend himself in court after a cruise ship masseur who accused him of sexual assault was given the green light to have his case heard.
Fabian Zanzi filed a suit against the Grease star in June 2012, alleging that Travolta touched him inappropriately aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship in 2009.
The Chilean-born worker claims that, despite his protests, Travolta then forcefully embraced him.
Zanzi said that after the "nonconsensual, inappropriate, extreme and outrageous" incident, Travolta offered to buy his silence for $12,000.
Travolta's legal team tried to prevent the case from reaching court, on the grounds that the Hollywood actor had a prior agreement with the cruise liner which stipulated that any dispute between the two parties must be settled in arbitration.
However, earlier this week a California federal judge dismissed the petition because there was no evidence Zanzi was bound by the arbitration agreement between Travolta and Royal Caribbean International.
A spokesman for Travolta previously branded the claims lubricious and baseless.
"This is another ludicrous lawsuit with inane claims. It is obvious that Mr. Zanzi and his lawyers are looking for their 15 minutes of fame," Travolta's lawyer Marty Singer said.
"The lawsuit's ridiculous claims are completely contradicted by what Mr. Zanzi told his employer back in 2009 when he was being disciplined for his own violations of company policy.
"In his handwritten report three years ago, the only physical contact he claimed occurred was allegedly touching my client's neck.
"The inappropriate conduct he alleges in his lawsuit is absent from his written report he submitted at the time. That glaring omission speaks volumes."
Zanzi is seeking an unspecified amount in punitive damages.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Details of John Travolta’s Gay Relationship w/ Pilot to be Heard in Court
- 600 Videos Show Babies Raped by 32-year-old Home Carer
- AU’s Anti-Piracy Law is a Hollywood’s Wish List Coming True
- Keith Urban’s Concert Sends Dozens of Fans in Hospital Over Alcohol-Related Issues
- ACT Court Finds Former Parliament Speaker Peter Slipper Guilty of Dishonesty for Charging Wine Tour Cab Fare to Australian Taxpayers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On