Global business expansion weakened in January - PMIs
February 6, 2013 3:49 AM EST
The global economy continued to expand at the start of the year but business activity grew at a weaker pace than in December as growth rates in the United States fell, a business survey showed on Tuesday.
The Global Total Output index, produced by JPMorgan with research and supply management organisations, fell to 53.3 in January from December's nine-month high of 53.7. It has been above the 50 mark that signals growth since August 2009.
"The global economy made a solid start to 2013. Output is being supported by the pillars of rising new business inflows, work on pipeline contracts and rising employment," said David Hensley, director of global economics at JPMorgan.
"This should help sustain the expansion during the opening quarter, even if growth remains below trend initially."
A sub-index for new orders nudged up to 52.6, its highest reading since March last year, and firms increased their workforce at the fastest pace since February 2011.
The Global Services index dropped to 53.6 last month from December's 54.8, still comfortably above the 50 mark.
Services firms in the United States chalked up three years of back-to-back monthly expansion in January, although the pace of growth slowed from the previous month.
The euro zone's battered economy is probably recovering but the gulf between its two biggest members - Germany and France -is widening, according to earlier data, while activity amongst Britain's services firms unexpectedly returned to growth.
Figures released on Monday showed global manufacturing activity bounced back last month.
(Reporting by Jonathan Cable; editing by Stephen Nisbet)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June