Global business expansion weakened in January - PMIs
February 6, 2013 3:49 AM EST
The global economy continued to expand at the start of the year but business activity grew at a weaker pace than in December as growth rates in the United States fell, a business survey showed on Tuesday.
The Global Total Output index, produced by JPMorgan with research and supply management organisations, fell to 53.3 in January from December's nine-month high of 53.7. It has been above the 50 mark that signals growth since August 2009.
"The global economy made a solid start to 2013. Output is being supported by the pillars of rising new business inflows, work on pipeline contracts and rising employment," said David Hensley, director of global economics at JPMorgan.
"This should help sustain the expansion during the opening quarter, even if growth remains below trend initially."
A sub-index for new orders nudged up to 52.6, its highest reading since March last year, and firms increased their workforce at the fastest pace since February 2011.
The Global Services index dropped to 53.6 last month from December's 54.8, still comfortably above the 50 mark.
Services firms in the United States chalked up three years of back-to-back monthly expansion in January, although the pace of growth slowed from the previous month.
The euro zone's battered economy is probably recovering but the gulf between its two biggest members - Germany and France -is widening, according to earlier data, while activity amongst Britain's services firms unexpectedly returned to growth.
Figures released on Monday showed global manufacturing activity bounced back last month.
(Reporting by Jonathan Cable; editing by Stephen Nisbet)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation