Joe Paterno’s Widow Agrees To Exclusive Katie Couric Interview
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 6, 2013 2:50 AM EST
Just weeks after her exclusive interview with Notre Dame linebacker and alleged hoax victim Manti Te’o, Katie Couric has scored another high profile scoop, this time with Sue Paterno, the widow of former Penn State coach Joe Paterno.
Sue Paterno’s husband, a beloved figure in the Penn State community, died of lung cancer on Jan. 22, 2012. His death came just months after he was fired for his involvement in covering up the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal at the university, which resulted in 45 counts of child sexual abuse for Sandusky.
Much of the interview, scheduled to air on Feb. 11, was taped at Paterno’s family home, but Sue Paterno is also slated to appear live in Couric’s studio on that date for the first installment.
The Paterno family has continually defended the head coach since news of the scandal first broke, saying that Paterno did what was expected of him by the university. But Couric, who critics described as tough during her interview with Manti Te’o about the elaborate hoax surrounding his fictitious girlfriend Lennay Kekua, will likely have more questions for Paterno.
In a statement, producers of Couric’s talk show “Katie” said that sit-down interview would mark Paterno’s “first conversation since the scandal broke and since she lost her beloved husband of 50 years. Joe Paterno passed away just two months after the scandal was exposed, leaving behind his wife and family, and many unanswered questions about what he knew and did not know.”
However, viewers are already skeptical about how “fair” the interview will be, and have begun expressing their concerns over Facebook.
“How can we expect this to be a fair interview or media representation when you can't even use an appropriate headline? As hundreds have stated this was NOT a Penn State Scandal it was the JERRY SANDUSKY SCANDAL. I will watch because you Katie, I want to have faith in and SuePa, is the Queen of dignity and grace,” Facebook user Caroline Rouen Dixon wrote. “I hope you treat her with the respect she deserves and understand how blessed you are to have been invited into her home.”
“Be a true journalist katie and seek the truth, do not fall for the false narrative the media has portrayed for over a year now. The tides are changing and i hope you will be part of it. Forever love to the First Lady of Penn State,” Ben Hoover wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage