Joe Paterno’s Widow Agrees To Exclusive Katie Couric Interview
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 6, 2013 2:50 AM EST
Just weeks after her exclusive interview with Notre Dame linebacker and alleged hoax victim Manti Te’o, Katie Couric has scored another high profile scoop, this time with Sue Paterno, the widow of former Penn State coach Joe Paterno.
Sue Paterno’s husband, a beloved figure in the Penn State community, died of lung cancer on Jan. 22, 2012. His death came just months after he was fired for his involvement in covering up the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal at the university, which resulted in 45 counts of child sexual abuse for Sandusky.
Much of the interview, scheduled to air on Feb. 11, was taped at Paterno’s family home, but Sue Paterno is also slated to appear live in Couric’s studio on that date for the first installment.
The Paterno family has continually defended the head coach since news of the scandal first broke, saying that Paterno did what was expected of him by the university. But Couric, who critics described as tough during her interview with Manti Te’o about the elaborate hoax surrounding his fictitious girlfriend Lennay Kekua, will likely have more questions for Paterno.
In a statement, producers of Couric’s talk show “Katie” said that sit-down interview would mark Paterno’s “first conversation since the scandal broke and since she lost her beloved husband of 50 years. Joe Paterno passed away just two months after the scandal was exposed, leaving behind his wife and family, and many unanswered questions about what he knew and did not know.”
However, viewers are already skeptical about how “fair” the interview will be, and have begun expressing their concerns over Facebook.
“How can we expect this to be a fair interview or media representation when you can't even use an appropriate headline? As hundreds have stated this was NOT a Penn State Scandal it was the JERRY SANDUSKY SCANDAL. I will watch because you Katie, I want to have faith in and SuePa, is the Queen of dignity and grace,” Facebook user Caroline Rouen Dixon wrote. “I hope you treat her with the respect she deserves and understand how blessed you are to have been invited into her home.”
“Be a true journalist katie and seek the truth, do not fall for the false narrative the media has portrayed for over a year now. The tides are changing and i hope you will be part of it. Forever love to the First Lady of Penn State,” Ben Hoover wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments