Joe Paterno’s Widow Agrees To Exclusive Katie Couric Interview
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 6, 2013 2:50 AM EST
Just weeks after her exclusive interview with Notre Dame linebacker and alleged hoax victim Manti Te’o, Katie Couric has scored another high profile scoop, this time with Sue Paterno, the widow of former Penn State coach Joe Paterno.
Sue Paterno’s husband, a beloved figure in the Penn State community, died of lung cancer on Jan. 22, 2012. His death came just months after he was fired for his involvement in covering up the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal at the university, which resulted in 45 counts of child sexual abuse for Sandusky.
Much of the interview, scheduled to air on Feb. 11, was taped at Paterno’s family home, but Sue Paterno is also slated to appear live in Couric’s studio on that date for the first installment.
The Paterno family has continually defended the head coach since news of the scandal first broke, saying that Paterno did what was expected of him by the university. But Couric, who critics described as tough during her interview with Manti Te’o about the elaborate hoax surrounding his fictitious girlfriend Lennay Kekua, will likely have more questions for Paterno.
In a statement, producers of Couric’s talk show “Katie” said that sit-down interview would mark Paterno’s “first conversation since the scandal broke and since she lost her beloved husband of 50 years. Joe Paterno passed away just two months after the scandal was exposed, leaving behind his wife and family, and many unanswered questions about what he knew and did not know.”
However, viewers are already skeptical about how “fair” the interview will be, and have begun expressing their concerns over Facebook.
“How can we expect this to be a fair interview or media representation when you can't even use an appropriate headline? As hundreds have stated this was NOT a Penn State Scandal it was the JERRY SANDUSKY SCANDAL. I will watch because you Katie, I want to have faith in and SuePa, is the Queen of dignity and grace,” Facebook user Caroline Rouen Dixon wrote. “I hope you treat her with the respect she deserves and understand how blessed you are to have been invited into her home.”
“Be a true journalist katie and seek the truth, do not fall for the false narrative the media has portrayed for over a year now. The tides are changing and i hope you will be part of it. Forever love to the First Lady of Penn State,” Ben Hoover wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase