Joe Paterno’s Widow Agrees To Exclusive Katie Couric Interview
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 6, 2013 2:50 AM EST
Just weeks after her exclusive interview with Notre Dame linebacker and alleged hoax victim Manti Te’o, Katie Couric has scored another high profile scoop, this time with Sue Paterno, the widow of former Penn State coach Joe Paterno.
Sue Paterno’s husband, a beloved figure in the Penn State community, died of lung cancer on Jan. 22, 2012. His death came just months after he was fired for his involvement in covering up the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal at the university, which resulted in 45 counts of child sexual abuse for Sandusky.
Much of the interview, scheduled to air on Feb. 11, was taped at Paterno’s family home, but Sue Paterno is also slated to appear live in Couric’s studio on that date for the first installment.
The Paterno family has continually defended the head coach since news of the scandal first broke, saying that Paterno did what was expected of him by the university. But Couric, who critics described as tough during her interview with Manti Te’o about the elaborate hoax surrounding his fictitious girlfriend Lennay Kekua, will likely have more questions for Paterno.
In a statement, producers of Couric’s talk show “Katie” said that sit-down interview would mark Paterno’s “first conversation since the scandal broke and since she lost her beloved husband of 50 years. Joe Paterno passed away just two months after the scandal was exposed, leaving behind his wife and family, and many unanswered questions about what he knew and did not know.”
However, viewers are already skeptical about how “fair” the interview will be, and have begun expressing their concerns over Facebook.
“How can we expect this to be a fair interview or media representation when you can't even use an appropriate headline? As hundreds have stated this was NOT a Penn State Scandal it was the JERRY SANDUSKY SCANDAL. I will watch because you Katie, I want to have faith in and SuePa, is the Queen of dignity and grace,” Facebook user Caroline Rouen Dixon wrote. “I hope you treat her with the respect she deserves and understand how blessed you are to have been invited into her home.”
“Be a true journalist katie and seek the truth, do not fall for the false narrative the media has portrayed for over a year now. The tides are changing and i hope you will be part of it. Forever love to the First Lady of Penn State,” Ben Hoover wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown