Alicia Keys Super Bowl National Anthem Criticized For Being Too Long
By Amethyst Tate | February 6, 2013 2:21 AM EST
Alicia Keys sang the national anthem before Super Bowl 2013, and it is unofficially the longest rendition in history to be sung at the football showdown.
Keys, who wore a floor-length red dress, sang the anthem while seated behind a white grand piano. Her version of “The Star-Spangled Banner” took two minutes and 40 seconds to sing.
The previous performer to have the longest Super Bowl national anthem is Natalie Cole, who sang it in one minute and 52 seconds.
Now, Keys is being criticized not only for singing slowly, but also for sitting down during the song.
Twitter users commented on how long it took Keys to finish the anthem. One reader commented that it was “One of the worst anthem renditions I have ever seen or heard. What a funeral durge. Too slow.”
Prior to her performance, Keys spoke to MSN about the anthem, saying “I have to rehearse it totally, as if it’s a brand-new song because it is actually a brand new song in the style that I’ll deliver it.”
Additionally, according to the Huffington Post, critics slammed Keys for sitting down during “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
"It was disrespectful," one morning show producer told the publication.
"They had enough time and manpower to think of this before the performance. They could have had her stand at her piano keyboard and sing. To me and a lot of my friends, she sounded great but the visual was wrong."
Keys is not the first performer to be negatively criticized for their singing, as Beyonce, who also performed at the Super Bowl, was reprimanded by the media when it was revealed that she lip-synched at President Obama’s inauguration last month.
Regardless, Keys seems unfazed by the critics. “Crazy excited for my first @BlackBerry project!! It involves my beautiful fam!! ;-) … #KeepMoving,” is her latest tweet. Keys has been named the newest global creative director for Blackberry.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet