Hezbollah's Australian and Canadian Bombers 'Killed Israeli Tourists in Bulgaria'
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | February 6, 2013 1:59 AM EST
The bombing, in the Black Sea resort of Burgas in July 2012, was carried out by a bomber who died at the scene.
But police and Bulgarian officials said he was part of a Hezbollah cell that included two operatives using passports from Australia and Canada.
Since the bombing, Israel and the US have been pressing the EU's member states to designate Hezbollah as a terrorist organisation.
Burgas is the second-largest resort on Bulgaria's Black Sea coast. It is popular with Israeli tourists, particularly teenagers, and is home to a Chabad centre, a Jewish community hub.
After the blast, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the attack "was perpetrated by Hezbollah, Iran's leading terrorist proxy", and warned that "Israel will respond forcefully to Iranian terror".
Hezbollah has denied involvement in the bombing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Explosion in Canada Damages Building, Five Injured
- 15-year-old's 'Impressive' Letter Adds To Online Support For Emma Watson
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate