Hezbollah's Australian and Canadian Bombers 'Killed Israeli Tourists in Bulgaria'
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | February 6, 2013 1:59 AM EST
The bombing, in the Black Sea resort of Burgas in July 2012, was carried out by a bomber who died at the scene.
But police and Bulgarian officials said he was part of a Hezbollah cell that included two operatives using passports from Australia and Canada.
Since the bombing, Israel and the US have been pressing the EU's member states to designate Hezbollah as a terrorist organisation.
Burgas is the second-largest resort on Bulgaria's Black Sea coast. It is popular with Israeli tourists, particularly teenagers, and is home to a Chabad centre, a Jewish community hub.
After the blast, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the attack "was perpetrated by Hezbollah, Iran's leading terrorist proxy", and warned that "Israel will respond forcefully to Iranian terror".
Hezbollah has denied involvement in the bombing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid