Government's $2.25 Billion NTPC Stake Sale on Feb 7
February 6, 2013 12:58 AM EST
The government expects to raise around 120 billion rupees by selling a 9.5 percent stake in state power utility NTPC Ltd(NTPC.NS) in a share auction on February 7, Disinvestment Secretary Ravi Mathur said.
The floor price for the offer will be announced on Wednesday, he said.
Share sales in state companies has been a key element of the government's plan to bring down its fiscal deficit to 5.3 percent of gross domestic product by March-end to avoid a credit downgrade from global ratings agencies.
The government aims to raise $5.6 billion by selling shares in the 2012/13 fiscal year to March. Last week, it raised $585 million through a 10 percent stake sale in state explorer Oil India Ltd(OILI.NS).
It expects to sell shares in four other state companies before March-end, Mathur told reporters.
Join the Conversation
- Japan’s Fukushima Badly Wants To Host 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Australian Economy Expected To Have ‘Solid Growth’ Despite Falling Iron Ore Prices
- Unique Traits That Make You A Millennial
- Top Google Canada 2014 Searches: Robin Williams, World Cup, iPhone 6
- Credit Card Debt 101: How To Get Yourself Back On Track