Celebrity Saudi Preacher Accused of Raping, Murdering Daughter Freed after Paying 'Blood Money'
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 6, 2013 12:49 AM EST
A Saudi preacher, who raped and killed his daughter, escaped charges after he agreed to pay 'blood money' to her mother.
The five-year-old victim was raped and set on fire by her father in October. The girl was later admitted to a hospital and medical examination proved that she was repeatedly raped. The victim also sustained serious injuries to her head and ribs. Her left arm was also found crushed.
The accused, Fayhan al-Ghamdi is a celebrity Islamic preacher who appeared regularly on Muslim television networks.
Ghamdi had only served a few months of imprisonment before agreeing to pay 'blood money'. Islamic law states that the offender can give money as compensation to victim's kin in return for clemency.
An activist group known as "Women to Drive" alleged that the accused doubted the virginity of his daughter Lama al-Ghamdi and took her to a clinic for a check-up. The group said that Ghamdi confessed to the crime and used a cane and cables to inflict injuries on the victim.
The activists also said that instead of a capital punishment or a life-long imprisonment, the court had ruled that the prosecution could only seek 'blood money'.
The accused had agreed to pay an amount over ₹2,500,000 as "blood money" to the girl's mother.
According to Saudi Arabian laws, fathers could not be executed for murdering their children and husbands could not be executed for murdering their wives.
Several activists have raised objection to the verdict and expressed their protest through social media.
The demand for women and child protection has also risen due to which authorities have promised a 24-hour hotline to take calls regarding child abuse.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans