Home prices post biggest jump in over six years: CoreLogic
February 6, 2013 12:49 AM EST
Home prices rose for a tenth consecutive month on a year-over-year basis in December, posting their biggest gain in more than six years, data analysis firm CoreLogic said on Tuesday.
Excluding distressed sales, prices were up 7.5 percent on a yearly basis and 0.9 percent compared to the previous month. Homeowners in danger of foreclosure, or in "distress", often sell their homes at a significantly reduced price.
The near year-long run of improving home prices in most U.S. states has helped cement expectation that the housing market is finally on the mend - all be it at a slower pace during other recoveries - after the 2007-09 financial crisis and recession sent house prices crashing.
"We are heading into 2013 with home prices on the rebound," said Anand Nallathambi, president and chief executive of CoreLogic. "The upward trend in home prices in 2012 was broad based with 46 of 50 states registering gains for the year. All signals point to a continued improvement in the fundamentals underpinning the U.S. housing market recovery."
There continued to be big differences between the pace of recovery in different parts of the nation, reflecting, in part, the widely varying impact of the recession on house prices in different localities.
The five states with the highest home price appreciation when distressed sales are counted were: Arizona, up 20.2 percent; Nevada, up 15.3 percent; Idaho, up 14.6 percent; California, up 12.6 percent; and Hawaii, up 12.5 percent.
Four states posted home price depreciation. They were: Delaware, down -3.4 percent; Illinois down -2.7 percent; New Jersey, down -0.9 percent; and Pennsylvania, down -0.5 percent. Those numbers also include distressed sales.
Of the top 100 statistical areas measured by population, 16 showed year-over-year declines, down from 18 last month.
(Reporting by Edward Krudy; Editing by Tim Dobbyn)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones